"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 08-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Arlienb... Brownies are among the most foolproof of recipes, in my experience. I've been baking them for more than 50 years! Feastivals makes 28 different flavors -- all chocolate...

I don't think anyone can give you real help without your posting the recipe for us to see what might be wrong.

Are you looking for a cake-type brownie, or the fudgy kind?
i prefer fudgy...i have both cake and fudgy recipes, and ALL of them consistently sink in the middle--i don't want to overbake it because i hate hard dry brownies. that's why the oven temperature factor seems to be the likely problem because of the uneven baking...as well as from the fact that i used those recipes in another oven before and they worked just fine. does this mean i have to get another oven? i could try the other recipes suggested here too...

Old 08-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Sinking in the middle is not necessarily a sign that a baked item is messed up. Obviously it's a big problem if you're making a layer cake, but things that are supposed to be gooey in the middle, like fudgy brownies, don't always stay puffed up because, well, they're dense and gooey!

That said, if your regular recipe isn't turning out like it used to and you know you've made it correctly, it's probably due to the temperature, but it also could be that your leavening is no longer good. Baking powder loses strength after it's been opened for a long time. You might want to buy a new can.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
Cook

thanks fryboy...i haven't done any brownie baking recently because i don't like the disappointed feeling after...but i've recently opened a new can of b. powder so might just do that in a few days time, and will let you know...i will try that joy of cooking recipe you suggested.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:36 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Great! Don't frost them -- those brownies need nothing, except maybe a bowl of vanilla ice cream on the side.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #15
Executive Chef

My copy says Copyright 1931,1936................1964 - my copy printed May 1974. Recipe Brownies Cockaigne. I've never made the recipe, but it looks good. Certainly better than the one my gd made using EVOO. Her mother let her eat all of them she wanted - nobody else would eat them after a taste.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
My copy says Copyright 1931,1936................1964 - my copy printed May 1974. Recipe Brownies Cockaigne. I've never made the recipe, but it looks good. Certainly better than the one my gd made using EVOO. Her mother let her eat all of them she wanted - nobody else would eat them after a taste.
That would be the 1964 edition.

OMG! Olive oil in brownies? She should have her spoon revoked!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlienb
thanks fryboy...i haven't done any brownie baking recently because i don't like the disappointed feeling after...but i've recently opened a new can of b. powder so might just do that in a few days time, and will let you know...i will try that joy of cooking recipe you suggested.
Arlien, in my experience there should NOT be any baking powder in Brownies. That's the main difference between Brownies and cake.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
That would be the 1964 edition.

OMG! Olive oil in brownies? She should have her spoon revoked!
Without seeing the recipe the only explanation for olive oil in brownies or cake is for the natural emulsifiers that are in olive oil. Most brownies have extra egg yokes and butter that has been whipped before mixing in the dry ingredients for emulsifiers. When the ration of sugar exceeds the flour in a baked product, the cake or brownies would fall apart without emulsifier ingredients.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:28 AM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Arlien, in my experience there should NOT be any baking powder in Brownies. That's the main difference between Brownies and cake.
that's what i've been doing in my more recent brownie attempts...NO baking powder...because as i said, i like it fudgy, but the middle just sinks...somebody did say something about the temperature of the oven but as it's not ours to replace, is there any other way to resolve this and still have perfect brownies?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:56 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Arlien, get an oven thermometer. Preheat your oven to whatever your recipe says - say, 350, and put your thermometer in the oven. Make sure the oven is really preheated! I usually let mine go 10-15 minutes beyond the time the oven 'beeps' to let me know it's 'at temp'.

Okay, now your oven is 'supposed' to be at 350 - but what is your oven thermometer saying? Maybe 370? That's 20 degrees higher than you want for your recipe - so, the next time, trying preheating your oven to 330 rather than 350, have your thermometer in the oven, and see if you can get that '350' that you need. The same conversely if your oven is reading a lower temp than you want - add on however many degrees you need.

Some ovens can be calibrated at home, but if you don't have the instructions, I'd not try to fool with it. The other option is to ask your landlord to have an appliance repairperson come in to do the calibration.

Tags
None