"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 11-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Brownie edges hard - help!

When I bake brownies (in 9x13 glass pyrex), the edges are hard and the center gooey. Please help? What am I doing wrong? I preheat to the suggested temp and cook the suggested time. Using boxed brownie mix.

Update: I read on another site that using glass pans can cause hard edges. Do those of you who use metal pans have this problem? If not, perhaps that's my solution...just purchase a metal pan!

Old 11-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey Miss Susan....Welcome to DC! Sorry to hear about your problem....I'm not a baker, my DW fills that role...Maybe check your oven with a thermometer and go from there....Change pans...cook at a lower temp for a longer period...Hopefully someone can come up with a solution...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG View Post
When I bake brownies (in 9x13 glass pyrex), the edges are hard and the center gooey. Please help? What am I doing wrong? I preheat to the suggested temp and cook the suggested time. Using boxed brownie mix.

Update: I read on another site that using glass pans can cause hard edges. Do those of you who use metal pans have this problem? If not, perhaps that's my solution...just purchase a metal pan!
did you happened to grease the pan? if recipes says grease bottom of pan, they really mean it. i think that would cause hard edges. also if batter is not even on edges of pan, that will cause it to. it just bakes to quick. hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Executive Chef

When baking in glass you want to turn oven down 25 degrees as the glass gets hotter. The edges tend to bake a little harder in any pan so I just cut them off and put on a plate as long as they are not burnt they still make a nice snack.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Another thing to check is your oven temp with a oven thermometer to make sure the temp is right on.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
When baking in glass you want to turn oven down 25 degrees as the glass gets hotter.
Good tip. That also holds true for dark nonstick pans.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Aside from what good advise jpmcgrew told you, I know Duncan Hines posts on there boxed to vary temps depending on what type pan you use.
Did you see that on the box? I love there brownies and never had a problem, but do love the edges best and love the goowy middles too.
Also the box tells you how to make them more fudgie or more cake like. Maybe you'd like the cake variation more.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG View Post

Yummy... I love the tough edges and the gooey middle... I don't want the edges brittle, but when you have to fight to eat them... my favorite part.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Head Chef

Did you know that there is a special brownie pan out there for folks who like the hard edges? It looks quite odd.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I'm an anti-hard edge guy...My trick? Parchment paper! Comes out perfect every time...

Tags
None