Brownie edges hard - help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SusanG

Assistant Cook
When I bake brownies (in 9x13 glass pyrex), the edges are hard and the center gooey. Please help? What am I doing wrong? I preheat to the suggested temp and cook the suggested time. Using boxed brownie mix.

Update: I read on another site that using glass pans can cause hard edges. Do those of you who use metal pans have this problem? If not, perhaps that's my solution...just purchase a metal pan!

Last edited:
Hey Miss Susan....Welcome to DC! Sorry to hear about your problem....I'm not a baker, my DW fills that role...Maybe check your oven with a thermometer and go from there....Change pans...cook at a lower temp for a longer period...Hopefully someone can come up with a solution...

When I bake brownies (in 9x13 glass pyrex), the edges are hard and the center gooey. Please help? What am I doing wrong? I preheat to the suggested temp and cook the suggested time. Using boxed brownie mix.

Update: I read on another site that using glass pans can cause hard edges. Do those of you who use metal pans have this problem? If not, perhaps that's my solution...just purchase a metal pan!

did you happened to grease the pan? if recipes says grease bottom of pan, they really mean it. i think that would cause hard edges. also if batter is not even on edges of pan, that will cause it to. it just bakes to quick. hope this helps.:chef:

:) When baking in glass you want to turn oven down 25 degrees as the glass gets hotter. The edges tend to bake a little harder in any pan so I just cut them off and put on a plate as long as they are not burnt they still make a nice snack.

Aside from what good advise jpmcgrew told you, I know Duncan Hines posts on there boxed to vary temps depending on what type pan you use.
Did you see that on the box? I love there brownies and never had a problem, but do love the edges best and love the goowy middles too.
Also the box tells you how to make them more fudgie or more cake like. Maybe you'd like the cake variation more.

Yummy... I love the tough edges and the gooey middle... I don't want the edges brittle, but when you have to fight to eat them... my favorite part.

Did you know that there is a special brownie pan out there for folks who like the hard edges? It looks quite odd.

Did you know that there is a special brownie pan out there for folks who like the hard edges? It looks quite odd.

browniecd7.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom