Brownie Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used a silicone loaf "pan" and I don't like it! It doesn't brown the sides or bottom and the loaf often comes out a strange shape. The baking time is off on the two loaves that I baked, and it just doesn't "feel" right! Ugh!!!

Sorry, missed this bit. 3 eggs is fine. I often reduce the # of eggs I put in. It will just give you a slightly firmer texture. Not really even enough for most folks to notice.

Your method sounds a bit contradictory. You put the eggs in with the sugar and cocoa, but then say you add wet with dry. I'm confused.

To avoid chocolate scrambled eggs I have taught my daughters to make brownies this way:

Melt butter (and chocolate if using that recipe)
Put sugar, cocoa, baking powder and sugar in a bowl and stir til all dry ingredients are mixed.
Pour melted ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to incorporate.
Add beaten eggs, one at a time. Only add as many eggs as needed to reach desired consistency. (Usually 3 not 4 for a 13x9 inch pan)

Does that help?

Just reading over this again, what do you class as the desired consistency?

Am going to try it the way you mentioned and see how it goes tonight.

How would you say a brownie should look when cooked? How long should it take to cool down so you can cut?

I usually have to leave it overnight for it to be firm enough to cut.
I just made these the other day. Made in a 9 X 13 pan.
This one was cut while still slightly warm. After they sat overnight they were a bit firmer. You can leave the coffee out if you don't like the flavor. The original recipe this is based on has no coffee in it and I have made other adjustments over the last 25 years.

Click for recipe >> Ms. Mofet's Mocha Brownies

img_1002899_0_2213aff716cb717187d416a29616f227.jpg

Last edited:
Just reading over this again, what do you class as the desired consistency?

Am going to try it the way you mentioned and see how it goes tonight.

Sorry I missed this. Desired consistency varies depending on the baker. My desired consistency is a bit hard to describe, but I'll give it a go. I like my batter to be shiny and to come together at about the count of 3 when I draw my spoon through it. Do you know what I mean?

My batter was very thick and I had to spread it with 2 spats. But the finished brownie is closer to a dense cupcake than fudge and moist not dry.

Right had a bit of a disaster I think. Not sure what keeps going wrong.

I cooked at about 155celcius for about 10 mins longer.

It was going well till it grew to twice the size it was originally and then overnight it shrunk to half the size it was when I put the batter in.

I think it maybe because I changed the temperature and the style of pan in the same go maybe that had an effect on how it cooked.

I'll try with a metal pan as that's what I was using originally with a parchment sling, just got frustrated when the paper would fold in and indent my brownie.

Also I found it quite greasy on the bottom of the brownies is this normal?
The bottom of my brownies are never greasy and I use Baker's joy to coat my metal pan no parchment. I leave my brownies in the the pan till cool, cut in pan and lift them out without any problems.

I found using parchment paper causes my brownies to stick to the paper and it's impossible to get off with out wrecking the brownies.

OMG Alex, I made brownies number 1, and they are great. I am on a kick to decrease my DH's cholesterol so I made some changes. I used half butter and half country crock, I used egg substitute, and I used whole wheat flour. Although not just like your brownies, they were good and very good chocolate flavor. I also used the cup of cocoa instead of the chocolate chips for the batter. Next time I will try with all country crock, but didn't want toake too many changes at once. Now DH can have brownies that are lower in fat and still wonderful. Thanks.

Thanks everyone.

Here is how it turned it once I used my silicone tray and I put it in the freezer for 20mins just to make it firm so I could cut it a bit better. I only got a picture of a small one as they rest have all gone!

cant upload photos at the minute will get up soon!

Last edited:
I'll try turning it down and cooking a bit longer. Our oven has a fan I've heard it can cook quicker than a normal oven.

Sorry this is how I mix it,

Melt butter and chocolate,
Whilst melting, mix sugar cocoa and eggs to get a thick goo, add melted chocolate and butter, mix then add flour until thick then add to pan.

I am currently using a silicone tray will this affect how it cooks? I place it on top of a flat baking tray and place into oven.

Would a metal pan cook better?

I sell brownies and ship them all over. I have tried silicone pans and for brownies, they dont seem to work great. I use a metal 13x9 pan and normally I go with baking powder instead of melting chocolate. When I do melt it, I use a 9x9 pan b/c they seem to be a lot richer/denser.
I whisk my dry stuff together, then I add my eggs(2 usually) then I add boiling water(but have to temper the eggs so you dont get the scramble eggs) and it gets pretty thick then add the flour.

AmandaN80 said:
I sell brownies and ship them all over. I have tried silicone pans and for brownies, they dont seem to work great. I use a metal 13x9 pan and normally I go with baking powder instead of melting chocolate. When I do melt it, I use a 9x9 pan b/c they seem to be a lot richer/denser.
I whisk my dry stuff together, then I add my eggs(2 usually) then I add boiling water(but have to temper the eggs so you dont get the scramble eggs) and it gets pretty thick then add the flour.

Would you mind PM me a simple recipe of yours with how you mix it if that's ok. I'd like to see how it compares to what I'm doing.

I'll upload a pic soon of my brownies.

I have attached a quick pic of the what my brownies look like.

Any tips on how to get them relatively level? At the minute the outside is high and nice and the middle is thin and a bit more moist/gooey.

Attachments

• image-1499643403.jpg
    image-1499643403.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 275
But how do you get brownies to not stick to the pan?

I've tried EVERYTHING from just oil to oil and flour to a pan release recipe and the one thing I can't get to unmold is brownies. Any tips out there please?

I sometimes line my pan with foil and then spray the foil with cooking spray or oil the foil. Then when the brownies are done and cooled a bit I lift the whole batch out of the pan using the foil as a handle. (Use a little more foil than you actually need to line the pan. The brownies come right out and the foil just peels off.

If you want those brownies level you might try using an insulated cake pan.

Back
Top Bottom