Brownies ~ edges or middle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to pizza, I love the crust! I love all of the pizza, but could never leave the crust behind

My husband hates the crust and cuts it off every slice of pizza. I grab them up before he throws them away. I love the crust more than the pizza. He also cuts the crust off his french toast and I eat them too. He is eternally 5 years old.

I'm beginning to think that I am the only person in the world who does not like the edges of brownies. :ohmy: Shocking, I know! Do you fight off others so you can have the edges or the corners? Or do you cut your piece an inch in from the edge of the pan?

For years I cut brownies the regular way - a piece off as you needed it. One day one of our kids asked if they could have the corner piece because they liked the crusty part. That's when I started to cut brownies so I could have all the inside pieces and everyone else got edges. Same goes for pizza around here. So are you an edge person or a middle person?
Never had any luck with brownies they are always too cake-like all through and not squidgy in the middle when I use recipes in British books. Might have a go at IG's "Outrageous Brownies" recipe.

I like the ooey gooey centre brownies! So, CG you are not alone. But my recipe, which has taken me years to perfect, doesn't ever get to crispy and hard on the edges - perfection! :mrgreen:

SO trims the edge off the entire pan and we eat them first. Then the rest are all center cut.

I guess if you want the ultimate crusty brownies, just bake them in the bottoms of muffin tins.

As to pizza crust, I eat from the point up to the crust and leave the crust for either SO or the disposal.

I had a couple pkgs of brownie mix in the house for my grandson, but now he's on a gluten-free diet and cannot eat them so I made 1 pkg last night. I only have a glass pan so I used that and lowered the temperature and they turned out great! But I will still be trying out BakeChef's recipe once the other brownie mix is gone!

I had a couple pkgs of brownie mix in the house for my grandson, but now he's on a gluten-free diet and cannot eat them so I made 1 pkg last night. I only have a glass pan so I used that and lowered the temperature and they turned out great! But I will still be trying out BakeChef's recipe once the other brownie mix is gone!
It's recommended to lower the temperature by 25°F, when baking in a glass pan.

Our household has two different 'Brownie' recipes that we like:
Haole Brownies 002.JPG
This is a throw back to my childhood
We were fed a hot lunch each day
which included dessert, these are
what were called "Haole Brownies"
our rival school called them Caramel Cuts,
sorry, totally differnent...
anyway, these are so chewy that it
doesn't matter if you got the edge or middle...

brownies 003.JPG
If I make this recipe of
Hershey's Best Brownies,
I put a mini Reese's Peanut Butter cup
in the middle of each piece that will be cut

So two win/win brownies

My wife always works so hard to make sure the ends are not to hard and the middle completely cooked.
Wait until I tell her people actually like crispy end pieces!

I never really put much thought into this brownie deal. But I can say honestly i like the piece that has end crisp with soft middle.

I will eat either, as long as the outside edge is not hard as a rock. My DIL cuts the outside edge off and only serves the inner cuts. The outside edges are put in a plastic bag and eaten by her family as "brownie bites." I want to try making the individual ones made in tassie pans.

My wife always works so hard to make sure the ends are not to hard and the middle completely cooked.
Wait until I tell her people actually like crispy end pieces!

I never really put much thought into this brownie deal. But I can say honestly i like the piece that has end crisp with soft middle.

I find that cooking in a metal pan gives me a bit softer edges. Glass pans cook quicker and continue cooking longer once the brownies come out of the oven resulting in edges that overcook a bit.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I will eat either, as long as the outside edge is not hard as a rock...
Our daughter made a pan of brownies (box mix) when she was about 10. When she got to the part that said "mix by hand" she asked " with THESE?" holding her hands up. I told her that meant to mix with a spoon instead of an electric mixer. Then she insisted on leaving them in the oven just a little longer since the middle looked wet. Didn't matter if I told her that's how they're supposed to look. When she tried to cut them later the knife got stuck! We still call them her "Brownie Bricks". Anyone need to build a wall? :LOL:

Roll_Bones, check my post on page 1 that shows a brownie pan that bakes skinny pieces so that they all have at least two edges. Might be something up your alley. ;)

first choice middle. second choice edge.

when there's none left - my god there's a giant spider on the wall behind you... :angel:

:LOL:

I don't really care, I love it all. :yum: I prefer to feel like I'm doing a community service when I slice a little piece off to 'even it out' to make the leftovers in the pan perfectly squared again. :ermm: :LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom