Brownies ~ edges or middle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm beginning to think that I am the only person in the world who does not like the edges of brownies. :ohmy: Shocking, I know! Do you fight off others so you can have the edges or the corners? Or do you cut your piece an inch in from the edge of the pan?

For years I cut brownies the regular way - a piece off as you needed it. One day one of our kids asked if they could have the corner piece because they liked the crusty part. That's when I started to cut brownies so I could have all the inside pieces and everyone else got edges. Same goes for pizza around here. So are you an edge person or a middle person?

I like em both, at my house a brownie is an 8"x8" square, with walnuts please! A little vanilla ice cream and some chocolate sauce helps soften up those crispy corners!

Growing up the trophy in our house was the "heel" on a loaf of Italian bread. My Mother usually took it when we were little because no one else wanted it, as we got older it became the most prized piece because Mom made us think it was special in some way. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Either or for me, CG.
I cut them all at once and eat them in rows. I don't "cheat" and eat all the middle first nor all the edge pieces. I do like the outside pieces as far as holding them goes.

And I've liked the heel of Italian bread since I was little.

I like them both. I bake my brownies in a metal pan to help minimize hard edges that you can get baking in glass. I usually pop the whole batch out (after chilling) of the pan and trim off all of the edges then Rob and I eat those, then cut the rest into nice neat squares.

I generally prefer the middle too. While the crusty edges are okay, there is nothing better than the gooey soft center pieces! I take the center pieces of my homemade pizza too. It is made in a half sheet pan and cut in squares. I always take the ones without crust.

Edges for me. I once bought a package of something called Brownie Bark, I think it was at Costco. It was very thin, broken into pieces like peanut brittle, and yummy!
I need to look for that again.

I like to bring the edges back to the middle!;) I crumble up the crunchy bits to mix with the ice cream that goes on top of the middle.:yum:

Not only normal Roll_Bones, but some people prefer them that way. Hence, the development of this:

images

I'm glad to see that there are quite of few of you that prefer middles. My family has always made me feel like I was weird. I mean specifically about brownies, since I am weird in general anyway! :LOL: I keep telling them to let me eat the part I prefer since it saves ALL the edges for them. Now that it's just the two of us Himself is very happy to have his half of the pan include ALL the edges!

We have a good situation around here. I like the edges and Kathleen gets the middle.

I MUCH prefer chewy brownies to cakey brownies though.

I was thinking of pizzas earlier. The square ones. They used to be popular around here. How stupid is it to have middle pieces on a pizza? No crust to pick up the piece with.

I like them both. I bake my brownies in a metal pan to help minimize hard edges that you can get baking in glass. I usually pop the whole batch out (after chilling) of the pan and trim off all of the edges then Rob and I eat those, then cut the rest into nice neat squares.

I was not aware of that! I don't have an 8 X 8 metal pan, but I will find one. What about those silicone baking pans? Anyone ever bake brownies in one of them? I will eat the edge, but I prefer the middle.

I was not aware of that! I don't have an 8 X 8 metal pan, but I will find one. What about those silicone baking pans? Anyone ever bake brownies in one of them? I will eat the edge, but I prefer the middle.

I've never used silicone but my bet is that they would produce the softest edges.

Glass holds heat so well, that it tends to overcook edges in my opinion, metal is better, especially professional aluminum, doesn't hold the heat as well, but distributes it evenly. Since silicone will likely hold the heat the least I would imagine that it would be great for brownies.

EDGES! I have the pan above that Cooking Goddess posted and love it. Even with that pan we still argue over who gets the end pieces. Three edges instead of two. Now I am going to have to go make some brownies ;)

Back
Top Bottom