Bubbling Brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russell

Senior Cook
my cousin is allergic to eggs, so me and my aunt use egg replacer when we make stuff. We used it for brownies one time, and they came out like almost a VERY oily fudge. we have used the egg replacer with brownies before. can anyone help me? it is just a normal betty crocker mix.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is egg replacer? What does it have listed for the ingredient list?

If you're talking about something like Egg Beaters, it's actually egg whites, coloring, and some fat, if I recall correctly. So, it's still bad for your relative unless the allergy is only to the yolks which are missing from Egg Beaters and similar products.

no no!

no its called egg replacer. it's like a powder, that you mix with water and a little bit of baking soda.

?

I've never heard of that before. I am sure you buy it at a grocery store, but where at the store? You may have to use less oil when you make the cake or whatever. Bettycrocker cake mixes are different, I would need to see the recipe in order to help you out more. Maybe you have to use less water or oil since you can't use eggs.

blah

Rainee said:
Homemade Fake Egg: Use the following recipe in place of one egg in baked goods; it works really well in cookies. It's best to whip it up right before adding it to the recipe. (Note: This recipe is not meant to replace eggs in really eggy dishes, like scrambled eggs.)

Fake Egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons water
Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with a fork or wire whisk until foamy.

Eggless baking can sometimes be a daring adventure, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment. If you end up with hockey pucks instead of cookies, don't worry. Try something different next time.
This was from a different topic, but thgis is what egg replacer is.

Re: blah

miguzigoldfish said:
Rainee said:
Homemade Fake Egg: Use the following recipe in place of one egg in baked goods; it works really well in cookies. It's best to whip it up right before adding it to the recipe. (Note: This recipe is not meant to replace eggs in really eggy dishes, like scrambled eggs.)

Fake Egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons water
Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with a fork or wire whisk until foamy.

Eggless baking can sometimes be a daring adventure, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment. If you end up with hockey pucks instead of cookies, don't worry. Try something different next time.
This was from a different topic, but thgis is what egg replacer is.

That is the first time I've heard of that, but that's ok cause I learned something new today in case I ever meet someone that can't have eggs. :D

Hi, I know you posted this a LONG time ago, but my son wasn't even born when you posted. He is now 3 and has a severe egg allergy. I tried making brownies with the Ener-G egg replacer for the first time the other day, and experienced the same bubbling, oily, fudgy mess you described. I thought maybe I did something wrong until I ran across your post. Any chance you ever found an answer how to deal with this? Thanks!

Anyluck

I used the pre-made betty crocker brownie mix and used ener-g egg replacer as well, not because of allergies just because I'm vegetarian. I saw that the brownies were bubbling and googled it because it didn't seem to be cooking right and was also wondering if you guys had come out with a solution?:ermm:

I have tried several different commercial brownie mixes and have the same issue. I use the Ener-G egg replacer in everything I bake, for the most part it works extremely well, except for brownies.

Egg Substitute in Brownies

I found this online and am going to try out the 1 Egg = ¼ cup Applesauce + 1 tsp Baking Powder substitute instead. I have used applesauce as an egg substitue before and haven't had any big problems with it. Though they also suggest "Commercial Egg Substitute" which as we all know doesn't work for brownie mixes.

What is a good substitute for eggs?

• Ener-G Egg Replacer - follow directions on box.
    2 tbsp cornstarch = 1 egg
    2 tbsp arrowroot flour = 1 egg
    2 tbsp potato starch = 1 egg
    1 heaping tbsp soy powder + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg
    1 tbsp soy milk powder + 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg.
    1 banana = 1 egg in cakes.
    1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. Light, fluffy cakes!

I've used flax seed + water and it works pretty well. I've not tried the others but they may be worth experimenting with.

You have used the flax seed substitute in comercial brownie mixes and had it work well? I just wanted to clarify because while I use Ener-G Egg Replacer in much of my baking and it works great, it works awful for brownie mixes like betty crocker.

What is a good substitute for eggs?

• Ener-G Egg Replacer - follow directions on box.
    2 tbsp cornstarch = 1 egg
    2 tbsp arrowroot flour = 1 egg
    2 tbsp potato starch = 1 egg
    1 heaping tbsp soy powder + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg
    1 tbsp soy milk powder + 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water = 1 egg.
    1 banana = 1 egg in cakes.
    1 tbsp milled flax seed and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg. Light, fluffy cakes!

I've used flax seed + water and it works pretty well. I've not tried the others but they may be worth experimenting with.

have any of you ever tried making brownies from scratch using the egg replacer? You might have more success. If you need a terrific basic recipe, I've been baking with one for 42 years. ;) and I'd be glad to share.

If you have a good brownie recipe from scratch that you would like to share I would love to give it a try. I have tried several brownie recipes and never been to impressed. Though I haven't tried one in years. I love to bake so I don't mind trying something new.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom