Calling all lemon lovers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made these Wednesday for my writing class and they were a big hit! :) I had intended to add the baking powder, but I forgot, so they were the more dense kind, but they were really good. I may have overbaked them; the top felt a little tough to me, so I poked holes in it with a fork and poured the glaze over that, so the glaze would go into the brownies, like a tres leches cake. I also added 1 tbsp. poppy seeds to make lemon-poppy seed brownies. They were delicious! I will definitely make these again.

Attachments

• 2014-03-26 16.53.14-edited.jpg
    2014-03-26 16.53.14-edited.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
If I weren't busy sanding and resealing my butcherblock countertops this weekend, I was planning on making a pan of these. The poppy seeds sound like a great addition.

GG....that looks fantastic!! Definitely going to try this, as I admit to being a lemon lover, almost more than chocolate! :yum:

I made it with three lemons for the zest and two for the juice. Now I have a naked lemon in the fridge. The result was very lemony.

Actually Addie, I used it in tonight's dinner.

There has been a couple of times when I have needed more zest than juice. So that leaves me with a lemon that is skinless. So I just squeeze it and freeze the juice in the cube tray, with only the seeds removed. Because I wasn't squeezing the rind, I got a lot of juice out of it. I have also removed the zest when a recipe calls for the juice alone. I remove that and freeze also. :angel:

I just had this recipe delivered to my Inbox by Serious Eats:

Meyer Lemon and Olive Focaccia

I realize that Meyer lemons aren't the quite the same as the Eureka lemons in the store but it sounds great.

And maybe for people like me there can be a lazy-persons version; store bought pizza dough?

I just had this recipe delivered to my Inbox by Serious Eats:

I realize that Meyer lemons aren't the quite the same as the Eureka lemons in the store but it sounds great.

And maybe for people like me there can be a lazy-persons version; store bought pizza dough?

Somehow you got the recipe name in the URL field, so clicking the link doesn't work. Here it is: http://mobile.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/meyer-lemon-and-olive-focaccia.html

You could use pizza dough, but it wouldn't have thought texture that focaccia has. If you have a bread machine, you can make the dough in that, then bake it in the oven.

Thanks for correcting that url, GG. I think I know how I screwed up---- almost always operator error! :ohmy:

I don't have a bread machine and really am not into making the dough. Do you think store bought bread dough would work better than store bought pizza dough?

I don't have a bread machine and really am not into making the dough. Do you think store bought bread dough would work better than store bought pizza dough?

It will probably taste good, but since the ingredients are different, the texture won't be the same - it won't have that open crumb. I think pizza dough would actually work better because basically it's a flat bread recipe and bread dough might rise too much.

I'm new here so is this thread supposed to be a place for posters to add their favorite recipes that include lemons? Thanks :>)

well, this one's got nothing to do with breads or pizza, so I'll put it here.
gets dragged out 2-3 x/year

Lemon Tart

crust:
in a food processor
pulverize / near flour 1/3-1/2 cup sliced almonds
blend in
1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp almond extract

pulse in 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter

3-5 tbsp iced water to make it come together.

roll into a ball - chill for 2-3 hours

pre-heat oven to 425'F

roll dough out into a circle - I roll it out about to the diameter of the pan bottom - then put the (thick) circle into the pan and use a flat bottom water glass to squeeze it out and up the sides.
If it gets soft, chill for a bit then unfold dough into a 9 or 10 inch pan for blind baking
note: I prefer the 9" as I think the crust amount is a bit slender for a 10" pan
can use a solid fluted pan - I use a spring form pan
bake at 425'F about 20-25 minutes until nicely browned.
remove - shell can be filled hot or cooled.

the filling:
3 large whole eggs
plus 3 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
no need to worry with seeds/pulp/etc it is strained later
2 tbsp lemon zest (about 3 lemons worth)

don't even think of bottled lemon juice.

heat slowly in a stainless or glass pan
add 6 tbsp of unsalted butter
melting butter slowly into the lemon mix.

cooks until it just thickens - should pour easily - do not curdle - then strain into the crust/shell

bake at 325'F about 10 minutes
just until center is set -
overbaking causes it to go sticky & glue-like.

cool & unpan - with the spring form I use a long knife to slice under the bottom and transfer to a plate.

allow the tart to cool completely - a warm crust will break apart very easily.

can be topped with any sliced fresh fruit - strawberries, mangos, or stuff like blueberries in a clear gelatin - or whip cream - chopped nuts - or just nothing.

Attachments

• LemAlTart_s.jpg
    LemAlTart_s.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 284

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom