Can you make a ganache with whipping cream instead on double?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purplesoup

Assistant Cook
Can you make a ganache with whipping cream instead of double?

I recently moved to a small town in Hungary and find I can't always get the ingredients I am used to.

I'd like to make a Ganache, but I can't get double cream. It is just cream and chocolate but when you boil double cream it thickens, but it wont with whipping cream.

Can anyone say if it will just turn to chocolate milk or chocolate cream or if there is any way to get the thickness for whipping cream.

Last edited:
I use 1 cup of heavy cream brought to a boil then add 8 or 9 ounces of chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and add a flavoring if you like. A teaspoon of vanilla, a tablespoon of cognac or a tablespoon of rum. If you use it when it is warm it will be thin and have a shine like a glaze. If you beat it over an ice water bath it will thicken and be more of a frosting. Have a couple of kids standing by to lick the bowl.

Last edited:
How to thicken whipping cream

I haven't got heavy cream, just whipping cream which is 30% fat, will it be ok?

I haven't got any kids. Can I lick the bowl myself, or will I have to rely on the kindness of strangers?

If you don't want to be caught licking the bowl, chill the ganache and scoop out some balls, roll them in cocoa powder or chopped nuts and have truffles. It is really the same basic mixture.

Hmm?

I use 1 cup of heavy cream brought to a boil then add 8 or 9 ounces of chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and add a flavoring if you like. A teaspoon of vanilla, a tablespoon of cognac or a tablespoon of rum. If you use it when it is warm it will be thin and have a shine like a glaze. If you beat it over an ice water bath it will thicken and be more of a frosting. Have a couple of kids standing by to lick the bowl.

Ok I got the ingredients (wait) where are the kids? Why do I have that checked off? Oh yeah, It's me.

The ganache I made for my tarts the other day I used normal thickened cream, butter and dark chocolate :)

I haven't got any kids. Can I lick the bowl myself, or will I have to rely on the kindness of strangers?

Just make sure you use a bowl, and not a pot. You wouldn't want to be labeled, wait for it, "A POT-LICKER"!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

And yes, whipping cream can be used to make a ganache. Chocolate has the required fat to thicken it. You may have to adjust the amount of chocolate to get the texture you want. And as has been said, unsalted butterfat can be added if required, to replace the amount of butterfat that differs between double cream and whipping cream.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Over here we have Woolies, Coles and Foodland, the main ones...Coles is the most expensive, then Woolworths, then Foodland

Over here we have Woolies, Coles and Foodland, the main ones...Coles is the most expensive, then Woolworths, then Foodland

We have Woolworths, Pick 'n Pay, Spar, Checkers, Shoprite, Foodco etc.
Gordon Ramsay does and add for Checkers :LOL:
My daughter and I can't watch it without laughing, the way he pronounces Boerewors is hillarious!

Back
Top Bottom