"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 10-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Thanks Alix! I was racking my brain for an answer. The only thing I could come up with was to make caramel for the topping. Here's one I have used a couple of times.

Caramel Topping

3/4C packed brown sugar

6Tbsp. Butter

2Tbsp. Milk

Mix in microwave safe bowl & microwave on high, uncovered, 3-4 minutes, stirring often.

Old 10-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Thanks ladies!

Both your suggestions sound great, my mother used to make caramel the Eagle Brand way but I have always been afraid to try it... I may try it today! However I can do the other sauce too in case my group does not like the caramel.

All things are difficult before they are easy. -Thomas Fuller (1608-61)
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Mmmm...I saw these caramel cheesecake bars on my Kraft seasonal cookbook I get in the mail. I did make them then tried to make the caramel sauce with brown sugar, flour, vanilla and water...LOL...what a mess it was, and yucky too!!! I'll go with sweetened condensed milk or brown sugar and heavy cream next time. Any other great recipes for caramel sauce?

Dina
Old 10-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICadvisor
Thanks Crews, lol, funny thing is (if I sound like a broken record here and people are getting the urge to hit me with a cast-iron frying pan, I apologize) neither vanilla wafers or graham crackers are to be found in Ireland, so when it comes to cheesecake crusts I use "digestive biscuits" (cookies). I think I'll try it with those, orrrrrrr do you think that shortbread cookies would work? (Or would they maybe burn too easily?)

Your cookies are on the way. Should be there in a short time.!!

Tags
None