"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chocolate brownies - Basic but Good - includes coffee!

I found this recipe and had never seen one that called for instant coffee - I don't know, maybe it's common but anyhow I tried them and they came out great. There is a recipe on that site for chocolate frosting that looks good and I bet would go well on top of these brownies! But I can't vouch for the frosting as I have not tried it. This is from the allchocolate site.

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
  • 1-1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
Directions:

Heat oven to 350F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Place chocolate and butter in medium saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat; stir in eggs, vanilla and instant coffee until well blended. Add sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and nuts. Stir until well blended. Spread batter in prepared pan.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
Makes about 36 brownies.

Suzie

Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
Head Chef

Thank you Suzie45, I'm just going to copy off your cookie recipe right now. Looks like something that grandson and I just might do this weekend! Is that site Chocolate, the Natural Antioxidant - Recipes, History and More ? Just so everyone will know since you can't post it yet. Smile

Old 10-19-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
Head Chef

Smile Yep, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
Thank you Suzie45, I'm just going to copy off your cookie recipe right now. Looks like something that grandson and I just might do this weekend! Is that site Chocolate, the Natural Antioxidant - Recipes, History and More ? Just so everyone will know since you can't post it yet. Smile
I'll just quote myself - looks like that is the place. Thanks again Suzie number 45
Old 10-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Looks like a great recipe. I've copied it and will make them this weekend.

In looking at the recipe I got to wondering what the purpose of the baking soda is in the recipe. Baking soda is normally used as a leavening agent to give the baked item some loft or lightness. But, in order to work baking soda needs an acid to activate it. Baking powder comes with it's own powdered acid included which is activated by moisture or heat or both.

I don't see any acidic ingredient in this brownie recipe. What purpose do you suppose the baking soda serves?

This is not intended as a criticism but it just got me thinking.

I think I'll make two batches (what the heck it's for science), one with baking soda and one without and see how they are different.

Actually, as a diabetic I think I'll make a third batch with oatmeal and reduce the amount of flour to reduce the carbohydrate content. I also substitute Splenda for sugar.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I've made brownies with instant expresso powder and they were yummy!!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Aurora, I am not a very good chemist so I have no clue about the lack of acidic ingredients - is coffee considered acidic? I did not do well in chem 101...

PytnPlace - I think I like your idea of instant espresso power even better than regular instant though I don't have any in my cupboard - I suppose it's something you could find at a Whole Foods or that type of place. I love coffee and usually don't even use instant - I have a burr grinder and buy the whole beans from Peets!

David - yes, that is the site. Not a ton of recipes but at least they all contain chocolate!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie45 View Post
Aurora, I am not a very good chemist so I have no clue about the lack of acidic ingredients - is coffee considered acidic? I did not do well in chem 101...
You're correct - coffee is an acidic ingredient, and so is chocolate.

RE: espresso powder - I always use it in all my chocolate recipes - it really enhances the chocolate taste!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks, I'll mentally file that detail. Coffee and chocolate are acidic enough to activate baking powder.

Tags
None