Chocolate brownies - Basic but Good - includes coffee!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suzie45

Assistant Cook
I found this recipe and had never seen one that called for instant coffee - I don't know, maybe it's common but anyhow I tried them and they came out great. There is a recipe on that site for chocolate frosting that looks good and I bet would go well on top of these brownies! But I can't vouch for the frosting as I have not tried it. This is from the allchocolate site.

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
  • 1-1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
Directions:

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Place chocolate and butter in medium saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat; stir in eggs, vanilla and instant coffee until well blended. Add sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and nuts. Stir until well blended. Spread batter in prepared pan.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into squares.
Makes about 36 brownies.

Suzie

Looks like a great recipe. I've copied it and will make them this weekend.

In looking at the recipe I got to wondering what the purpose of the baking soda is in the recipe. Baking soda is normally used as a leavening agent to give the baked item some loft or lightness. But, in order to work baking soda needs an acid to activate it. Baking powder comes with it's own powdered acid included which is activated by moisture or heat or both.

I don't see any acidic ingredient in this brownie recipe. What purpose do you suppose the baking soda serves?

This is not intended as a criticism but it just got me thinking.

I think I'll make two batches (what the heck it's for science), one with baking soda and one without and see how they are different.

Actually, as a diabetic I think I'll make a third batch with oatmeal and reduce the amount of flour to reduce the carbohydrate content. I also substitute Splenda for sugar.

Last edited:
Aurora, I am not a very good chemist so I have no clue about the lack of acidic ingredients - is coffee considered acidic? I did not do well in chem 101...

PytnPlace - I think I like your idea of instant espresso power even better than regular instant though I don't have any in my cupboard - I suppose it's something you could find at a Whole Foods or that type of place. I love coffee and usually don't even use instant - I have a burr grinder and buy the whole beans from Peets!

David - yes, that is the site. Not a ton of recipes but at least they all contain chocolate!!!

Aurora, I am not a very good chemist so I have no clue about the lack of acidic ingredients - is coffee considered acidic? I did not do well in chem 101...

You're correct - coffee is an acidic ingredient, and so is chocolate.

RE: espresso powder - I always use it in all my chocolate recipes - it really enhances the chocolate taste!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom