Cutting Brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex566

Assistant Cook
Hi, I just made Cooks illustrated version of the best brownie. They turned out beautifully except for when it came time to cut. I tried two different knives and both when dived in they stuck to the brownies and when finally able to pull out so did pieces of brownie. I was looking forward to picture perfect square brownies, but instead they came out in funky squares and crumbs. What went wrong?

When I make brownies, I line the pan with parchment paper. When the brownies are done and cool enough to remove from the pan, I turn the pan upside down, which results with the parchment on top. I use the sharpest knife I have and cut through the parchment and the brownie. Mine always turn out perfectly square with little to no crumbs.

I use parchment but I use a sharp tool that not only cuts but is a server as well. It works well.

With or without the parchment, the pizza cutter is your best bet, especially if you have nuts and/or chunks of chocolate in the brownies. Then, I take a sharp paring knife and go around to get the pan edges.

Back
Top Bottom