"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My mom used to make these, she loves anything date filled. I remember her buying a "brick" of dates and sitting there cutting them up, and removing the stray pit. Now we have chopped dates in a bag, making this much easier!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease a 9x13 inch cake pan.

Date Jam

You can make this ahead

3 cups (16oz) chopped and pitted dates
1/2 cup (3.5 oz) lightly packed brown sugar
1 (8 oz.)cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients in sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn heat down to medium low and simmer for about 5 minutes or until quite thick and "jammy". Set aside to cool a bit while you make the crust and topping.

Crust and topping

1 1/2 cups (7.5 oz) all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats (3.25 oz) quick oats can be substituted
1 cup (7 oz.) lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks or 6 oz.) butter

Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, walnuts, and salt in a bowl, mix to combine. Add butter that has been cubed into small pieces. Using a pastry blender cut in butter until no large chunks are visible, you can also do this with your hands, rubbing the flour into the other ingredients until you have a nice crumb topping with no visible large chunks of butter.

Set aside 2 cups of the crumb mixture, and put the remainder into the prepared 9x13 inch pan, using your hands pat it into the pan as evenly as you can to create a solid crust. Spread the date jam over the crust. Sprinkle the reserved 2 cups of crumb mixture evenly over the top.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.
It's a small world. My mother used to make these from an identical recipe. I wonder where she found it. Perhaps she had a GI boyfriend during the war!

I think I might do them for my Christmas "Turkey-free Zone" brunch party.

Tags
recipe

Date Bars My mom used to make these, she loves anything date filled. I remember her buying a "brick" of dates and sitting there cutting them up, and removing the stray pit. Now we have chopped dates in a bag, making this much easier! Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and grease a 9x13 inch cake pan. Date Jam You can make this ahead 3 cups (16oz) chopped and pitted dates 1/2 cup (3.5 oz) lightly packed brown sugar 1 (8 oz.)cup water 1 teaspoon vanilla Combine all ingredients in sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn heat down to medium low and simmer for about 5 minutes or until quite thick and "jammy". Set aside to cool a bit while you make the crust and topping. Crust and topping 1 1/2 cups (7.5 oz) all purpose flour 1 cup rolled oats (3.25 oz) quick oats can be substituted 1 cup (7 oz.) lightly packed brown sugar 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) 1/4 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks or 6 oz.) butter Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, walnuts, and salt in a bowl, mix to combine. Add butter that has been cubed into small pieces. Using a pastry blender cut in butter until no large chunks are visible, you can also do this with your hands, rubbing the flour into the other ingredients until you have a nice crumb topping with no visible large chunks of butter. Set aside 2 cups of the crumb mixture, and put the remainder into the prepared 9x13 inch pan, using your hands pat it into the pan as evenly as you can to create a solid crust. Spread the date jam over the crust. Sprinkle the reserved 2 cups of crumb mixture evenly over the top. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares. 3 stars 1 reviews