Fudge Pudding with Hard Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
One of our granddaughters has a birthday this month and requested a cheesecake. Karen had me look for my brother Lee's triple chocolate cheesecake recipe in one of our "cookbooks". As I was thumbing through, I ran across this handed down recipe. Its more of a brownie than a pudding, but what's in a name.;)

Fudge Pudding

Ingredients
1/2 C Crisco
1 C sugar
2 large eggs, separated
2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/3 C sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

Directions
Blend Crisco, sugar and egg yolks. Add chocolate and mix well. Stir in flour and vanilla. Add salt to egg whites and beat until stiff. Fold into chocolate mixture. Put mixture into a greased, 8" square baking pan. Bake at 325 F about 30 minutes. Serve warm with hard sauce.

Hard Sauce

Ingredients

1/3 C Crisco
1 C 10X sugar, sifted if clumpy
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp heavy whipping cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Directions
Add all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and beat at high speed until creamy. Chill before serving. Can be made ahead. Yields 1 cup.

Did you make it yet? It looks tasty but I'm not a Crisco fan. Thoughts on subbing butter? Would it make the "sauce" less "hard"?

Did you make it yet? It looks tasty but I'm not a Crisco fan. Thoughts on subbing butter? Would it make the "sauce" less "hard"?

To be honest, we haven't made this in a very long time and never considered making it with butter. Crisco wasn't a "bad" word in those days. The recipe was passed from my grandmother (maternal) and the recipe I have was hand written by my mother.

Last edited:
The name alone just makes me curious, and I prefer the intrigue of "Fudge Pudding" over a boring "brownie" any day. I would love to try this to see how it's different from a brownie. Yum.

Xmas pudding is more like a cake than like what North Americans call a pudding. I'm pretty sure that the original hard sauces were made with butter. I made one with butter and rum to go with a store bought Xmas pudding, many years ago. It was delicious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom