Grandma Snarr's Lemon Sours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I found this recipe when I was looking for Mom's spritz cookies. These were a big favorite in our family.

Grandma Snarr’s Lemon Sours

¾ cup flour
2 eggs
¾ cup shredded coconut
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup chopped nuts
1 tsp grated lemon rind
¾ cup powdered sugar

Mix together flour, margarine and sugar to a fine crumb. Sprinkle evenly in 11x7 lightly greased pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, beat eggs, mix in brown sugar and coconut, nuts, baking powder and vanilla. Spread on first mixture as soon as taken from oven. Return to oven and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Mix lemon juice, rind and powdered sugar until creamy and spread on top as soon as cake is taken from oven. Cool and cut into squares.

Thanks for the recipe, Constance. I love lemon desserts. I'm having trouble picturing this, though. It sounds like cake topped with a crumble topping topped with lemon glaze. Is that right? And what's the consistency like without flour?

Thanks for your patience, Obviously I'm not a huge baker!
But under your tutelage, I shall learn...

...kinda like a brownie but not.

Oh, that's the most delicious ever, then.
I'm totally making those. Now you've got me all worked up.
Can you recommend a substitute for nuts (no-nuts gal here)?
Maybe white chocolate chips or dried berries? Or cookie pieces?

I think oatmeal might work,but might need to alter the amount. I'm afraid the chocolate would make it too sweet, and I don't have any experience with dried berries. You really don't want to compromise the flavor of the lemon.

You might also just leave out the nuts and double the amount of coconut.

Does anyone else have suggestions?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom