Granola bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
No-Bake Chewy Granola Bars
(recipe makes a 9x13 pan)

2 cups quick oats
1 C rice crispies
1/4 C shredded coconut
1/4 C butter
1/4 C honey
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla/maple flavoring

Mix ins
Use 1/3 - 2/3 cup of the following:

chocolate chips
butterscotch chips
peanut butter chips
Mini M&Ms
Skor bar bits
craisins (chopped dried fruit of any type)
almonds (chopped fine)
peanuts (chopped)
hazelnuts

1.Set a small saucepan over medium high heat and melt the butter. Add the honey, brown sugar and salt. Stir together and bring to a boil. Keep at a boil for just over 2 minutes.
2. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients. NO MIX INS YET. Mix the ingredients together until the dry stuff is completely coated.
3. Add in your desired mix-in then press firmly into a lightly greased 9x13" pan. Place them in the fridge for 20 minutes then cut to size.

I haven't made them yet, but the rate my kids go through granola bars and granola in general I thought I'd try to have options that are at least a BIT healthier for them.

Yep, just the regular baking coconut. I like the sweetened stuff myself, but I think you could use whatever you have on hand.

Alix, here's a loose granola recipe that is a good alternative to store bought.

Granola ...
42 oz old fashioned oatmeal
2 C. wheat germ
1 1/2 C. brown sugar
4 C. raw sunflower seeds (I use roasted ones with no problem)
4 C. sliced almonds
1 Tbl. salt
1 1/2 C. corn oil
2/3 C. water
1 C. honey
1 Tbl vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together.
Mix wet ingredients together.
Combine wet & dry and mix well.
Spread 1/2" thick on 3 or 4 sheet pans.
Bake at 360 for 20 minutes. Rotate pans and back 10 minutes more. Stir granola and return to oven for another 5 - 10 minutes. Continue to stir and bake until dark and toasty brown (I go by smell).
Remove from oven and stir in:
2 C. raisins
2 C. craisins

Store in an air tight container and enjoy :)

I make a few modifications ... I use 8 cups of whatever nuts I have on hand and 4 cups of whatever dried fruit I have. It keeps for about 3 weeks before it starts to get chewy unless I refrigerate it, then it keeps for forever. I've tried halving the recipe but really, we go through it all in about a month between the 2 of us.

Thanks! This looks awesome. The recipe I've made before uses golden syrup not honey, and the flavoring gets varied. I've used maple flavoring and almond flavoring too. I've never used the honey though...or the wheat germ. I put some oat bran in and some coconut. Think the wheat germ might taste better. I'm going to try yours next batch I make. (Which will be this weekend)

Ever tried hazelnuts in your granola? I tried some in our last batch and they were fantastic.

No to the hazelnuts but I'll bet they would be delicious! The wheat germ adds a good flavor and just a little crunch. The honey is one of the reasons I like this recipe. I don't have anything against golden syrup and do use it often but the honey seems a little healthier to me (I know, sugar is sugar :)).

I'm going to try hazelnuts when I make it next ...

No-Bake Chewy Granola Bars
(recipe makes a 9x13 pan)

2 cups quick oats
1 C rice crispies
1/4 C shredded coconut
1/4 C butter
1/4 C honey
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla/maple flavoring

Mix ins
Use 1/3 - 2/3 cup of the following:

chocolate chips
butterscotch chips
peanut butter chips
Mini M&Ms
Skor bar bits
craisins (chopped dried fruit of any type)
almonds (chopped fine)
peanuts (chopped)
hazelnuts

1.Set a small saucepan over medium high heat and melt the butter. Add the honey, brown sugar and salt. Stir together and bring to a boil. Keep at a boil for just over 2 minutes.
2. Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients. NO MIX INS YET. Mix the ingredients together until the dry stuff is completely coated.
3. Add in your desired mix-in then press firmly into a lightly greased 9x13" pan. Place them in the fridge for 20 minutes then cut to size.

Definitely a winner .. thank for sharing this little gem !!!

Back
Top Bottom