Has anyone had a better classic brownie than ATK's recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacardi

Senior Cook
I've been cooking brownies for America's Test Kitchen for about five years now. Everyone always says it's by far the best they're had. Just curious to see if anyone who has tried them has had some brownies they thought were better? I'm always up for trying new things and experimenting :)

Yes, I have had the ultimate in brownie nirvana. The trick is to make brownies the day before you serve them. Chocolate always tastes better the next day. My friends adore Nick Malgieri's Supernatural Brownies. I make them with Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate and they are moist and rich and incredible. I have taken many master classes with him.

My two favorites: "Super Fudgy Triple Chocolate Espresso Brownies" from Cook's Illustrated and "Chewy Brownies" from Fine Cooking.

Maida Heatter also has French Fudge Squares with a Fudge Glaze. They are made differently than brownies but are similar. The squares are made the night before and the glaze is added the day of serving so that it doesn't lose its sheen.
Now, those are really extravagant.

oh yeah, my favorite is the recipe in the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary cookbook, for whole wheat brownies, I do the substitution for what ever chocolate is called for, i use 3/4 cup Penzeys dark natural cocoa and 4 T butter in addition to the other butter and also use a flaked salt,.... exquisite

I make Martha Stewart's Super Fudgy Brownies and they are sooo good - a sure fire cure for PMS if ever I found one.

Bacardi, there is a search function on the blue bar near the top of your screen. Type your request in there and you will come up with jillions of recipes. Or, go to the subforum you are interested in (Brownies in this instance) and change the date on it so that it shows recipes or active threads in the last 100 days or a year. You will be astonished at how many are already posted.

I personally have posted my two favorites. (Use advanced search and type Brownies and then my name in User to find them) I'm a bigger fan of the cakey brownies but the fudgy ones are stellar too. I would also recommend looking up corazon's double decker brownies, they are the latest fan favorite here.

Bacardi, there is a search function on the blue bar near the top of your screen. Type your request in there and you will come up with jillions of recipes. Or, go to the subforum you are interested in (Brownies in this instance) and change the date on it so that it shows recipes or active threads in the last 100 days or a year. You will be astonished at how many are already posted.

I personally have posted my two favorites. (Use advanced search and type Brownies and then my name in User to find them) I'm a bigger fan of the cakey brownies but the fudgy ones are stellar too. I would also recommend looking up corazon's double decker brownies, they are the latest fan favorite here.

Jillion's of recipes doesn't mean they're better than ATK...ATK taste test recipes and determines the best results. Point of this tread was to see if anyone has tasted ATK's recipe and has determined they've found a better tasting recipe. Thank you for the few who have posted recipes or links to recipes...I am hoping that future post (if there are any, lol) confirm they have tried ATK's recipe... :D

I am sorry, Bacardi. Taste is subjective. I prefer the two recipes that I listed but you may not. Some people like cakey brownies whereas others like fudgelike candy ones. Not knowing you personally, I have no idea what your likes are but I tried to tell you what mine were and what my friends and family appreciate. When it comes to Baking Illustrated, a cookbook that I own, you will find recipes that have been tested and will work but that does not mean they will meet your taste. The same is true of the Bakers Dozen group that tests dessert recipes over and over again. Taste is not a democratic thing. Either you like it or you don't. Gee, I didn't mean to wax philosophic on you, I was just doing my best to explain.

Same with me PieSusan. I'm not a fan of ATK. I prefer my OWN kitchen.

Sorry to have stepped on your toes Bacardi.

To add, I have tried about 20 recipes, most have just simply stunk vs ATK...I have never had better than ATK, but I'm sure they're out there, It'd be great to find a SINGLE source who could provide that.

Bacardi, there are two types of brownies. Cakey or fudgy and never the twain shall meet. I'm guessing ATK brownies are of the fudgy type?

Thanks. Then I definitely won't bother trying them as I'm a cakey brownie fan myself. I think they would get left on the counter a long time in my house. Sorry. No help here.

Back
Top Bottom