Has anyone had a better classic brownie than ATK's recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We're purists -- nothing but chocolate fudge brownies with nuts for us. Our favorite remains the Joy of Cooking recipe. It is fudgy but there may be a cake-like variation.

I don't know, because I have never made that recipe. I have, however been baking brownies since I was 7 (that's been just a few years... :ROFLMAO:) and using the same recipe, given to me by a former colleague, for (I'm just realizing!) more than 40 years.

When I was catering, we regularly made more than 25 different variations of brownies, and all of them started with the basic recipe I've been using for so long.

and where is the library??

I am sorry for being so vague, I meant go to your local library, if they do not have that cookbook on the shelves, they can get it for you through the inter-library system.

I looked up the recipe in Joy of Cooking and it basically is the same recipe as in the King Arthur cook book. It says the chewwwy version will take two eggs and the cakey version takes 4 eggs. Also the KA recipe rightly states that you can use whole wheat flour, for the measly 1 cup of flour vs the 2 cups of sugar;), and no one will be the wiser:cool:

I havent tried the ones youre talking about... but im gonna say my moms ;)

Shes sending me a carepackage full of them today but hers are fudgy with huge chunks of chocolate which get a delicious texture when baked but the outside is still crunchy and chewy.

god theyre stunning I wish the post would hurry up :LOL:

Brownies fall into several different categories -- fudgy, chewy, cakey, etc., but the best brownies I've ever had are the Brownies Cockaigne from The Joy of Cooking, which are somewhat between fudge and cakey and with a very fine chocolate flavor. This version incorporates my modifications based on years of baking these treats:

BROWNIES

2 ounces bittersweet (baking) chocolate
¼ cup butter (½ stick)
2 eggs (room temperature)
⅛ teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated white sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease 8-inch X 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan.

3. Break chocolate into pieces and put in glass measuring cup;
add butter; microwave on high about 30 second, just until butter
has melted; remove from microwave and stir; if chocolate has
not melted completely, return to microwave for 10 seconds,
then stir again; repeat until chocolate is just barely melted; set
aside to cool (do not use while still hot).

4. Beat eggs & salt with whisk in large bowl until light and foamy.

5. Gradually add sugar to eggs, whisking well after each addition;
beat until very smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes.

6. Add vanilla to egg mixture and whisk until incorporated.

7. Add cooled chocolate and butter mixture to egg mixture; fold
together with a rubber spatula.

8. Before chocolate and egg mixtures are completely mixed
together, add flour; continue folding.

9. Before flour is completely mixed in, add nuts; continue folding
just until mixture is evenly colored.

10. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 25 minutes; center will
appear crusty but will be quite soft; cake is done when it just
begins to pull away from sides of pan.

11. Cool completely before cutting into bars.

I am a huge fudgy brownie guy! I think a lot more people are leaning towards the fudgy end right now(not that cakey is wrong by any means). I am just heading off to work but will post my personal recipe when I get back home tonight...

Have a great day,

I was reading this and kept hearing about Cake-y and Fudge-y and wondering which are closer to the ones I prefer. And actually, it is neither.

I have had many Brownies that left me totally cold, even though they had a nice flavor. I think it is the texture that is the most critical factor for me, and the one that most fail out on.

I want mine kind of tough and chewy on the outside and still ever so slightly moist in the middle. If anyone knows exactly what that is or a great recipe for it I would love to know.

I know I despise the ones that are very fluffly and cake-like, and I lean more towards the fudge ones, but most of them are just soft and fudgy and not chewy at all, so that one is not right either, though it is closer. Thanks for any help.

There are at least three types of brownies. You left out my favorite: chewy ones.

Oh, My !!!! Well, they Over-Estimate their Importance ... at least to me !!! I dont PAY for Recipes, either, unless they are hard-bound (Books).

No big deal .... there probably wasnt more than a 25% chance it would have been to my liking anyway. And I already have several that are quite acceptable.

Thanks for the info, nonetheless. At least now I know.

Besides which, I bet some kind soul on this site or another one who has already paid for it will give it to me anyway.

America's Test Kitchen does not GIVE anything away...you'll have to pay for that one at their website.....sorry, it sucks, but ATK is that way..

In my husbands chocolate LOVIN' opinion Ghiradelli's brownie recipe on the sweet cocoa can is the best. I believe the name is double chocolate brownie because they also have choco. chips in them.

I was reading this and kept hearing about Cake-y and Fudge-y and wondering which are closer to the ones I prefer. And actually, it is neither.

I have had many Brownies that left me totally cold, even though they had a nice flavor. I think it is the texture that is the most critical factor for me, and the one that most fail out on.

I want mine kind of tough and chewy on the outside and still ever so slightly moist in the middle. If anyone knows exactly what that is or a great recipe for it I would love to know.

I know I despise the ones that are very fluffly and cake-like, and I lean more towards the fudge ones, but most of them are just soft and fudgy and not chewy at all, so that one is not right either, though it is closer. Thanks for any help.

I posted about these earlier in this thread - they are outstanding, and I've made them many times. I bake them for less time than indicated, about 32 minutes.
Chewy Brownies - Fine Cooking

In my experience they can be which ever you want

If you over mix....cake-y

If you under bake....fudge-y

I follow the recipe on the can, I believe it is 350 for 40 min in a 8x8. The top will look cooked perfectly but the middle will appear under cooked by the tooth pic test, but after they sit they are perfectly chewy brownies!

I have also bought Ghiradelli's box brownie (double chocolate) they seem to be identical, so if I don't feel like measuring..... also they are only $3!

Back
Top Bottom