"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Jovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada
Posts: 318
HELP! missing ingredient...

Here I am again with yet another problem. I'm visiting my grandkids and started to make a recipe for Brownie Pudding off of the internet. I checked to make sure that I had all the ingredients, and then started mixing the cake. Then I read in the instructions that you have to add the milk mixture....WHAT MILK! ?? There is no milk listed. Now I've already got ingredients mixed together up to that point and don't know what to do.

Can someone suggest what I should be adding now? I'll copy the recipe here:

Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
1 3/4 cups boiling water
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup all sweetened cocoa
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cocoa, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. In 2 cup measuring cup , combine milk, melted buter, and vanilla. With plastic or wooden spoon stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just blended. Pour into ungreased 8-inch square baking dish.
In small bowl, thoroughly combine sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa. Sprinkle mixture evenly over batter. Carefully pour 1 3/4 cups boiling water over mixture in dish; do not stir.
Bake 30 minutes.(Batter will separate into cake and pudding layers) Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Serve hot with whipped cream, if you like.

__________________

__________________
Jovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,080
Do you have any evaporated milk in a can? If so, mix it half and half with water. That equals regular milk you buy to drink.

Since the milk is not mentioned, go back to where you got the recipe and look for any other recipes that are similar. See if they mention milk and how much. I took a look and most of the recipes I looked at called for milk from 1/3 cup all the way to 1/2 cup of milk. I think it was accidental that it is not listed in the ingredients. There were several recipes that didn't call for milk at all. You could compare your list of ingredients and see if your recipe is similar to some other one. There are plenty of recipes on the internet for brownie pudding. I would think the milk would be for the pudding that sits on the bottom below the brownie.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
In a pinch you can get by with water and butter.

1 cup of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter for every cup of milk.

I think your recipe is already doing that, very confusing.

Take a look at this recipe.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/rec...s.aspx?id=4761

Maybe a half cup of water and 1 tablespoon of melted butter added to your batter.

Good luck!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do you have any evaporated milk in a can? If so, mix it half and half with water. That equals regular milk you buy to drink.

Since the milk is not mentioned, go back to where you got the recipe and look for any other recipes that are similar. See if they mention milk and how much. I took a look and most of the recipes I looked at called for milk from 1/3 cup all the way to 1/2 cup of milk. I think it was accidental that it is not listed in the ingredients. There were several recipes that didn't call for milk at all. You could compare your list of ingredients and see if your recipe is similar to some other one. There are plenty of recipes on the internet for brownie pudding. I would think the milk would be for the pudding that sits on the bottom below the brownie.
I was thinking evaporated milk as well Addie.You're so smart!
We keep a case around for emergencies.A can can came in handy just the other day.I needed heavy cream.Subbed the canned for it.Nobody found out.Guess it shows ya.What they don't know won't necessarily hurt them.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Jovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
In a pinch you can get by with water and butter.

1 cup of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter for every cup of milk.

I think your recipe is already doing that, very confusing.

Take a look at this recipe.

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/rec...s.aspx?id=4761

Maybe a half cup of water and 1 tablespoon of melted butter added to your batter.

Good luck!
I just wanted to know how much milk I was suppose to use, since it hadn't mentioned it at all in the ingredients. Thanks.
__________________
Jovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I was thinking evaporated milk as well Addie.You're so smart!
We keep a case around for emergencies.A can can came in handy just the other day.I needed heavy cream.Subbed the canned for it.Nobody found out.Guess it shows ya.What they don't know won't necessarily hurt them.
My mother taught me all those tricks she learned during the depression. When I stopped nursing each baby, they went on canned milk with water and Karo syrup. I always have canned milk in the house.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,281
She doesn't need a substitute she needs to know how much milk to use, since that *fact* was omitted from the recipe.

Not uncommon in recipes posted online.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,281
1/2 cup milk

All you need to do to find it is to copy part of the instructions and Google

https://books.google.com/books?id=3L...0stir.&f=false
__________________

__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.