Help with brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peeper76

Cook
Ok so here is the situation, my son has been bugging me to bake brownies, and I haven't really had a successful batch. They are either too dry or too wet. But now he has got me craving them too. Anyone got a good recipe for moist delicious brownies made with cocoa powder and not semi sweet or bitter chocolate? Love to get some suggestions. Thanks!!!!:rolleyes:

These are excellent - not all cocoa powder, though - they're made with mostly unsweetened chocolate and a little cocoa powder. I bake them for a shorter time than indicated, about 32 minutes in a metal pan:
Chewy Brownies - Fine Cooking

Here's a recipe for Man Catcher Brownies - the name makes me cringe, but the end product is very much worth it. I've made them about 8-10 times, and they always get raves. It's from the Washington Post, as far as I know; but I'm too new to post a link so here's the recipe in all its glory.

Man Catcher brownies

12 ounces (3 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups cocoa powder, sifted (natural or Dutch process)
6 eggs (yes, six eggs)
2 cups sugar
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in saucepan, remove from heat and add cocoa (I usually use Dutch processed). Let it cool slighty. Whisk together the flour and salt; set aside. Whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla together and add to chocolate mix. Gradually add the flour mix. Line a 13 x 9 pan with buttered parchment paper or aluminum foil; spread batter in lined pan. Bake 40-45 minutes until a crust forms on top. Cool, then cut as desired. The brownies are very dense and super-rich.

I also use the Double Chocolate Brownie recipe, which everyone also loves, from the Wellesley Cookie Book; but that takes melted chocolate chips rather than cocoa powder.

Last edited:
Welcome, harrie. Glad you could join us.
Thanks for the input.
Put an intro thread out and introduce yourself and tell us about you.

Okay, whose got milk?????????????????

This is my Sister-in-law's special recipe. It's really good. They are pretty moist but dry out fast so I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for.

1/4 c cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 c butter or margarine, melted and divided
1/2 c boiling water
2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 c flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 c semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Stir together cocoa and baking soda. stir in 1/2 c butter. Add boiling water. Stir until mixture thickens. Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining 1/3 c butter. Stir until smooth. Add flour, vanilla, and salt. Blend completely. Stir in choc chips. Pour into 9x13pan. Bake 35-40 minutes (for 8x8 bake 30-35 min). (I actually usually only bake them for 25-30 minutes so check them often--I am high altitude though).

I just realized you said you didn't want semi sweet chocolate and this has some. Does that mean you didn't want any baking chocolate? If so, my brother may have the recipe for you.

Here's a recipe for Man Catcher Brownies - the name makes me cringe, but the end product is very much worth it. I've made them about 8-10 times, and they always get raves. It's from the Washington Post, as far as I know; but I'm too new to post a link so here's the recipe in all its glory.

Man Catcher brownies

12 ounces (3 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups cocoa powder, sifted (natural or Dutch process)
6 eggs (yes, six eggs)
2 cups sugar
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in saucepan, remove from heat and add cocoa (I usually use Dutch processed). Let it cool slighty. Whisk together the flour and salt; set aside. Whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla together and add to chocolate mix. Gradually add the flour mix. Line a 13 x 9 pan with buttered parchment paper or aluminum foil; spread batter in lined pan. Bake 40-45 minutes until a crust forms on top. Cool, then cut as desired. The brownies are very dense and super-rich.

I also use the Double Chocolate Brownie recipe, which everyone also loves, from the Wellesley Cookie Book; but that takes melted chocolate chips rather than cocoa powder.

This recipe was printed in my local newspaper a couple of years ago and I've made it a few times. These are the BEST BROWNIES IN THE WORLD, NO QUESTION! ;) Seriously, though, they're a little gooey in the middle, even when they're done, so they don't dry out. They are just fabulous.

Wow, those Man-Catcher Brownies sound interesting - but TWO cups of cocoa? The Hershey's recipe uses 3/4 cup and is very chocolatey. Four cups of sugar? This almost sounds like a double batch....I'd be interested to hear how these turn out when baked in a single 9X13 pan, but I am reluctant to use up all of those expensive ingredients if they don't turn out well.

PS - just checked out 53 reviews on the Chowhound board and everyone pretty much agreed that these are great brownies. Also looked at the original recipe at The Washington Post. Amazing. Cocoa is expensive here - not sure if I can bring myself to use $5 worth of cocoa to make one batch of brownies....

Last edited:
Wow, those Man-Catcher Brownies sound interesting - but TWO cups of cocoa? The Hershey's recipe uses 3/4 cup and is very chocolatey. Four cups of sugar? This almost sounds like a double batch....I'd be interested to hear how these turn out when baked in a single 9X13 pan, but I am reluctant to use up all of those expensive ingredients if they don't turn out well.

PS - just checked out 53 reviews on the Chowhound board and everyone pretty much agreed that these are great brownies. Also looked at the original recipe at The Washington Post. Amazing. Cocoa is expensive here - not sure if I can bring myself to use $5 worth of cocoa to make one batch of brownies....

Like I said, they're a little gooey in the middle and very rich. Just delicious. The second time I made them, I baked them in a 10x13 pan, thinking they would spread out and not be so gooey. They did and weren't, but they weren't as intensely chocolatey, either.

You could make half the batch in an 8x8 pan. They're so rich, you really only need a small piece to be satisfied :)

I second SQ's suggestion - I always use the Hershey's recipe from their website. I use this version, because it is for a bigger batch (9X13 pan.) Everyone always asks for my recipe. Just don't overcook them! HERSHEY'S Kitchens: Recipes: HERSHEY'S Best Brownies

thanks for the link, karen. i am going to make these this afternoon when i get up from nap. may use splenda for one cup sugar. we'll see

babe:chef:

well i made them karen and they are wonderful. easy recipe, even though i made a mess with the cocoa.

ate two while still warm, blood sugar was a bit low, what a great way to raise it.

babe:)

Personally around here it takes an armed guard to get them safely in the oven otherwise everyone will just eat all the batter!! LOL.
Which is not a bad idea, just mix it up and let em eat it LOL. Those Man Catcher Brownies sound great, but if I make them I won't end up....?? LOL.

They are I promise!!!!

Mav... you mean you're not.......???
:)
Luv ya!!!

Back
Top Bottom