ISO Brownie Cutting Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
It's just one of those basic things that I always struggle with and get frustrated--I just can't cut brownies well. They stick to the knife, the tops break apart or lift a bit. It makes for great fun eating all the crumbs, but they don't look very good!:LOL: Anyone have any tips on how to get a clean cut?

Let hot water run over your knife (non-serrated) till it's warm, then quickly wipe it off with a kitchen towel and make a cut. Do this with each and every cut. This is how I've done it.

Another suggestion - when you bake the brownies, line the pan with foil first, then take them out when they're cooled in one big square. This way, when you cut, it's an even cut, and there's no lifting out of the pan.

Hope this helps, and I'd like a brownie please!

When I do brownies 'for sale', I use parchment on the bottom. Then, when the brownies are cooled, I put a cookie baking sheet on top of the brownie pan, and flip it; now the brownies are upside down on the cookie sheet. Then peel off the parchment, take another cookie sheet, lay it on top of the bottom side of the brownies, and flip it back so they're top side up again.

I have a 16" plastic ruler (from Staples) that I use to make little nicks to the size I want the brownies, both length and width-wise, then use either a sharp, wet knife - or! - a big pizza cutter to cut the squares.

Always make sure your brownies are thoroughly cooled before you try to cut; I have a recipe that even suggests 4-5 hours in the fridge to help them set up before cutting.

Hope that made sense!
:blink:

4 to 5 hours in the fridge? Ours don't last that long unless there are only the two of us here.

Pizza wheel? Now THAT is a cool idea. I'd need a bigger one than I've got though. Do they come in various sizes?

They also now make pizza wheels that are made of plastic so you can use them in a non stick pan. That could come in handy for cutting brownies.

I did NOT get the pizza wheel idea from Alton! This is an old restaurant/bakery trick for cutting nice straight lines (can ya tell Alton isn't one of my favorite peeps? :mrgreen: )

Geebs, I always take the brownies out of the pan before cutting - makes for nicer looking squares.

Andy M. said:
Geez, marm, no insult intended! :ohmy: :ohmy:

I just thought it was a good idea.

:blush: Sorry, Andy, lol - I know there was no insult - just MHO, I think AB is greatly overrated.

Jkath- Yeah, I've made them in the mini muffin tins 'Two bite brownies'; they're great for parties! We used to do 3 different types - regular brownies, 'blondies', and cream cheese brownies in the little tins; they look so pretty on a serving platter.

I made sheet pans of brownies for a bake sale this summer and iced them...boy, what a mess I had cutting them...thanks for the suggestions...or last summer would have been the last I ever made brownies to give away... !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom