"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 09-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix

Golden syrup is sort of between molasses and simple syrup. I buy Roger's here. You could use corn syrup if you like though.
I remember golden syrup from summers in Canada. Don't remember the brand, but I used to sneak the occasional spoonful as a kid. It had a distinctive flavor, totally yumcious.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I remember golden syrup from summers in Canada. Don't remember the brand, but I used to sneak the occasional spoonful as a kid. It had a distinctive flavor, totally yumcious.
I've only ever seen Rogers, but hey, I don't go east very often. Great stuff. Awesome on porridge too!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Golden syrup is one of many options for liquid sweeteners. There's no need to go crazy trying to find it. These recipes should work with just about any of them.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never made gingerbread but I love it, thank you for al the recipes
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Head Chef

Here is my recipe. I just made one the other day. I don't frost it, so you are on your own about that.
Spicy Gingerbread

Ingredients

• Cooking oil spray
  • 1 cup Canola Oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten with a fork
  • 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon fine salt(pinch)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • teaspoon nutmeg
  • teaspoon white pepper
  • teaspoon cardamom
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • Serving suggestions: Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Lightly spray oil in a 9 by 13 by 2-inch pan. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar and molasses. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth.
In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Whisk the molasses mixture into the flour mixture until evenly combined.
In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Whisk the hot water into the batter until just combined. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake in the center of the oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Here is my recipe. I just made one the other day. I don't frost it, so you are on your own about that.
Spicy Gingerbread

Ingredients

• Cooking oil spray
  • 1 cup Canola Oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup molasses
  • teaspoon nutmeg
  • teaspoon white pepper
  • teaspoon cardamom
  • 1 cup water
Lightly spray oil in a 9 by 13 by 2-inch pan. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar and molasses. Add the eggs and whisk until smooth.
In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Whisk the molasses mixture into the flour mixture until evenly combined.
In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda. Whisk the hot water into the batter until just combined. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake in the center of the oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a rack. Cut into squares and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
She didn't ever serve hers frosted (according to the DH). Sometimes she dusted it with powdered sugar. So many great recipes...now I have to pick one!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Pick me! Pick me!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Pick me! Pick me!
I'm thinking of taking inspiration from a couple of the recipes. I rather doubt she used crystallized ginger (location and being not a terribly creative cook), or cardamon (again, location, ethnic background, cost--my grandma used cardamon, but that was genetic). She "might" have used golden syrup. Don't know if she even knew there was such a thing as white pepper. I suspect she used blackstrap molasses, but I could be wrong. Stay tuned!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you for sharing your recipe Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Spicy Gingerbread

Ingredients

• Cooking oil spray
  • 1 cup Canola Oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup molasses
  • teaspoon nutmeg
  • teaspoon white pepper
  • teaspoon cardamom
  • 1 cup water
Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
Head Chef

All of the recipes look wonderful. We don't frost ours, just a dollop of sweetened whipped cream. Think I'll garnish the next one I make with crystallized ginger. Yum.

Tags
recipe

ISO Dark, Moist Gingerbread recipe The DH's grandma made the most amazing gingerbread. It was dark, moist, in a 9x13 pan. She gave me the recipe, but I lost it. Because of the disfunctionality in that family, no one has the recipe--she took it to her grave? I hope not. I know there was molasses in it, ginger (obviously) and that is all I can remember. It was very moist and very dark. She lived in Nova Scotia. I only made it once. My bad. Does anyone have a gingerbread recipe that might be like this? Although I'm still mad as a wet hen at the DH because his dog killed my two hens, I'd love to surprise him with this on Thanksgiving (Alix-LP-Rock--do you have recipe for this???). 3 stars 1 reviews