ISO Dark, Moist Gingerbread recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tried the Eat Cake Gingerbread recipe. Nope, that's not it. I'll give another one of the recipes shared a try next month (I can't do Gingerbread every week!). The Eat Cake recipe was, well, too cakelike. Not dense, moist, or sticky enough. I think maybe using oil instead of butter and mixing it more like my banana bread recipe, which is the sticky, moist, dense texture her gingerbread was, might be the next experiment.

CWS4322 said:
I tried the Eat Cake Gingerbread recipe. Nope, that's not it. I'll give another one of the recipes shared a try next month (I can't do Gingerbread every week!). The Eat Cake recipe was, well, too cakelike. Not dense, moist, or sticky enough. I think maybe using oil instead of butter and mixing it more like my banana bread recipe, which is the sticky, moist, dense texture her gingerbread was, might be the next experiment.

Oh goodie! Kitchen experiment! I love it! Can I come?!!

I am always interested in the spices used, things like pepper, dry mustard etc.

I think the ones that call for the addition of boiling water at the end of the recipe tend to be more moist and dense.

Also sometimes these types of cakes need to ripen to become dense and sticky after about three days covered in plastic wrap. This is true with many quick breads and pound cakes.

No danger of that in my house. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It was moister and denser today. However, Granny would pull it out of the oven about 30 minutes before supper. It was often served warm and came out of the oven that way. I am thinking she may have used an adaptation of an earlier Fannie Farmer recipe that used lard. The banana bread recipe I use has oil, buttermilk, eggs, sugar, flour, bp, and I think, baking soda, and, of course bananas in it. It is baked in a slow oven (275) in pans lined with buttered parchment paper for about 2.5 hours. It is sticky, dense, and absolutely delicious. I was given the recipe by a chef at The Beaver Club in Montreal, PQ pre Internet days. I wasn't given permission to share this signature bread. But, without opening my recipe box, I think I've covered the basics. The eggs, oil and buttermilk are mixed together, bananas added and then this is folded into the dry ingredients. It is one of the few ways I will eat bananas (or smell them while I'm making the bread) and then the dry ingredients are added. ingredients.

Hmm. I remember a gingerbread I made many years ago, when I baked, and it was so simple, with no exotic ingredients. Am thinking it was either my Grandma's recipe, or from one of our church cookbooks. It was dark and moist and very gingery. Will have to seek it.

Last edited:
Hmm. I remember a gingerbread I made many years ago, when I baked, and it was so simple, with no exotic ingredients. Am thinking it was either my Grandma's recipe, or from one of our church cookbooks. It was dark and moist and very gingery. Will have to seek it.
Oh--please do look when you have time. I suspect she didn't have a copy of FF, but it might have been a recipe that was in the newspaper or a church cookbook...exotic ingredients she did not use--she was not well-off, not a great cook, and lived in a remote area were an "exotic" ingredient might have been fresh green grapes in the winter months! God rest her soul, her gingerbread was great--I hope the angels are enjoying it, she took that recipe with her to her grave.

:LOL: I'm thinking of taking inspiration from a couple of the recipes. I rather doubt she used crystallized ginger (location and being not a terribly creative cook), or cardamon (again, location, ethnic background, cost--my grandma used cardamon, but that was genetic). She "might" have used golden syrup. Don't know if she even knew there was such a thing as white pepper. I suspect she used blackstrap molasses, but I could be wrong. Stay tuned!

Black strap molasses was in almost every household when I was a kid. It was given to the children for the iron, plus cooking baked beans, gingerbread, etc.

A tablespoon of BS molasses is also good stirred into a glass of cold milk.
I really don't like Canadian milk--it is sold in plastic bags! I don't like the taste--whether it is the feed the cows eat or the plastic bags, I don't know, but one of the ways I do drink Canadian milk is with 1T of BS molasses and ice cubes (the milk has to be ice cold).

I really don't like Canadian milk--it is sold in plastic bags! I don't like the taste--whether it is the feed the cows eat or the plastic bags, I don't know, but one of the ways I do drink Canadian milk is with 1T of BS molasses and ice cubes (the milk has to be ice cold).

Seriously? They still DO that? We haven't had bags out here since the 70s. Tell ON to smarten up already. Blech. Or come visit AB where the milk is sweet. Just like the people. ;)

Seriously? They still DO that? We haven't had bags out here since the 70s. Tell ON to smarten up already. Blech. Or come visit AB where the milk is sweet. Just like the people. ;)

We still have some local dairies that sell their milk in glass bottles. :angel:

I get milk in cardboard cartons, and I live in Canada. They sell bags of it too, but I prefer the cartons (easier to handle).

We still have some local dairies that sell their milk in glass bottles. :angel:

We only have one dairy left that sells milk in glass bottles. I think the bottle deposit is up to 75 cents so it pays to remember to take back the old bottle. I think milk stored in glass tastes better and lasts longer.

Here too Addie. I think poor CWS is getting the short end of the stick.

Sorry for the hijack! Back to gingerbread! Did you take pix?

Wasn't quite a hijack. What goes better with a nice piece of warm gingerbread than a tall glass of cold milk. At least that is what my mother always served it to me with. :angel:

I love dairy sold in glass bottles. It has a better flavor imho. When I go upstate I make a point of stopping at a farm stand that sells heavy cream, 1/2 & 1/2 and chocolate milk in glass bottles. YUM!!

That sounds really nice the chocolate milk in glass bottles MM...you certainly dont see that here...everything is in cartons these days!

That sounds really nice the chocolate milk in glass bottles MM...you certainly dont see that here...everything is in cartons these days!
It is wonderful. They sell the heavy cream, 1/2 & 1/2 and chocolate milk in pint and quart sizes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom