"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Everymom

CWS, you made this yet? Which did you try?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I tried the Eat Cake Gingerbread recipe. Nope, that's not it. I'll give another one of the recipes shared a try next month (I can't do Gingerbread every week!). The Eat Cake recipe was, well, too cakelike. Not dense, moist, or sticky enough. I think maybe using oil instead of butter and mixing it more like my banana bread recipe, which is the sticky, moist, dense texture her gingerbread was, might be the next experiment.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I tried the Eat Cake Gingerbread recipe. Nope, that's not it. I'll give another one of the recipes shared a try next month (I can't do Gingerbread every week!). The Eat Cake recipe was, well, too cakelike. Not dense, moist, or sticky enough. I think maybe using oil instead of butter and mixing it more like my banana bread recipe, which is the sticky, moist, dense texture her gingerbread was, might be the next experiment.
Oh goodie! Kitchen experiment! I love it! Can I come?!!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #24
Master Chef

I am always interested in the spices used, things like pepper, dry mustard etc.

I think the ones that call for the addition of boiling water at the end of the recipe tend to be more moist and dense.

Also sometimes these types of cakes need to ripen to become dense and sticky after about three days covered in plastic wrap. This is true with many quick breads and pound cakes.

No danger of that in my house.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

It was moister and denser today. However, Granny would pull it out of the oven about 30 minutes before supper. It was often served warm and came out of the oven that way. I am thinking she may have used an adaptation of an earlier Fannie Farmer recipe that used lard. The banana bread recipe I use has oil, buttermilk, eggs, sugar, flour, bp, and I think, baking soda, and, of course bananas in it. It is baked in a slow oven (275) in pans lined with buttered parchment paper for about 2.5 hours. It is sticky, dense, and absolutely delicious. I was given the recipe by a chef at The Beaver Club in Montreal, PQ pre Internet days. I wasn't given permission to share this signature bread. But, without opening my recipe box, I think I've covered the basics. The eggs, oil and buttermilk are mixed together, bananas added and then this is folded into the dry ingredients. It is one of the few ways I will eat bananas (or smell them while I'm making the bread) and then the dry ingredients are added. ingredients.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hmm. I remember a gingerbread I made many years ago, when I baked, and it was so simple, with no exotic ingredients. Am thinking it was either my Grandma's recipe, or from one of our church cookbooks. It was dark and moist and very gingery. Will have to seek it.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hmm. I remember a gingerbread I made many years ago, when I baked, and it was so simple, with no exotic ingredients. Am thinking it was either my Grandma's recipe, or from one of our church cookbooks. It was dark and moist and very gingery. Will have to seek it.
Oh--please do look when you have time. I suspect she didn't have a copy of FF, but it might have been a recipe that was in the newspaper or a church cookbook...exotic ingredients she did not use--she was not well-off, not a great cook, and lived in a remote area were an "exotic" ingredient might have been fresh green grapes in the winter months! God rest her soul, her gingerbread was great--I hope the angels are enjoying it, she took that recipe with her to her grave.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I'm thinking of taking inspiration from a couple of the recipes. I rather doubt she used crystallized ginger (location and being not a terribly creative cook), or cardamon (again, location, ethnic background, cost--my grandma used cardamon, but that was genetic). She "might" have used golden syrup. Don't know if she even knew there was such a thing as white pepper. I suspect she used blackstrap molasses, but I could be wrong. Stay tuned!
Black strap molasses was in almost every household when I was a kid. It was given to the children for the iron, plus cooking baked beans, gingerbread, etc.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Black strap molasses was in almost every household when I was a kid. It was given to the children for the iron, plus cooking baked beans, gingerbread, etc.

A tablespoon of BS molasses is also good stirred into a glass of cold milk.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
A tablespoon of BS molasses is also good stirred into a glass of cold milk.
I really don't like Canadian milk--it is sold in plastic bags! I don't like the taste--whether it is the feed the cows eat or the plastic bags, I don't know, but one of the ways I do drink Canadian milk is with 1T of BS molasses and ice cubes (the milk has to be ice cold).

Tags
recipe

ISO Dark, Moist Gingerbread recipe The DH's grandma made the most amazing gingerbread. It was dark, moist, in a 9x13 pan. She gave me the recipe, but I lost it. Because of the disfunctionality in that family, no one has the recipe--she took it to her grave? I hope not. I know there was molasses in it, ginger (obviously) and that is all I can remember. It was very moist and very dark. She lived in Nova Scotia. I only made it once. My bad. Does anyone have a gingerbread recipe that might be like this? Although I'm still mad as a wet hen at the DH because his dog killed my two hens, I'd love to surprise him with this on Thanksgiving (Alix-LP-Rock--do you have recipe for this???). 3 stars 1 reviews