ISO Dark, Moist Gingerbread recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was leafing through one of my grandma's cookbooks (from 1929). There's a checkmark by the gingerbread recipe...if I have time, I'll give it a try on Sunday. The instructions are a bit different than the other recipes, and it has 2 c molasses, more molasses than other recipes for the size of pan...unfortunately, my digital camera died and I can't afford a new one right now (but if s/one has one they aren't using...I could trade some cookbooks for it)!

I was leafing through one of my grandma's cookbooks (from 1929). There's a checkmark by the gingerbread recipe...if I have time, I'll give it a try on Sunday. The instructions are a bit different than the other recipes, and it has 2 c molasses, more molasses than other recipes for the size of pan...unfortunately, my digital camera died and I can't afford a new one right now (but if s/one has one they aren't using...I could trade some cookbooks for it)!

My mother used to make gingerbread for me. I remember her using almost a whole jar of Grandma's Molasses. And it was the big jar. Not the one I used to buy for Baked Beans. :angel:

My mother used to make gingerbread for me. I remember her using almost a whole jar of Grandma's Molasses. And it was the big jar. Not the one I used to buy for Baked Beans. :angel:
The other thing about this recipe is that there is melted Crisco in it and one heats the milk with the molasses, and adds the egg at the end. It is in the "sponge cake" section of the booklet, but on reflection, Granny Gwyneth's was "really moist--spongecake like." We'll see how this one rates...How long is US copyright...75 years? This was published in 1929--so over 75 years ago.

I usually get 4 litres of milk in three plastic bags. I can get it in cartons or plastic jugs, or if I go to the health food store, I can even get it in glass bottles. I think the deposit is $1.

This week's gingerbread experiment was Mrs. Moody's Gingerbread, which is in Any one Can Bake, (c) 1929, The Royal Powder Company. (Any one can bake : Royal Baking Powder Company. New York. pub : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive).

I can't link to the recipe, but here are the ingredients

2 c molasses (I used 1 c black strap, 1 c fancy)
3/4 c butter (I used 3/4 c butter and added 2 T lard)
1 tsp ground ginger (I added 1 T)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 of a grated nutmeg (I omitted this)
2 tsp baking soda
3 c sifted flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 beaten egg
1 c buttermilk

Additions:
1 T grated fresh ginger
1 tsp instant coffee
1/8 tsp ground white pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 7 x 13 inch pan (you could go one size up and it would still work--it fills the pan a bit more than I would like but did not overflow the pan when baked)

1. Heat molasses and shortening together. Bring to a boil-stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add 2 tsp baking soda (you will want to use a pan large enough to allow the mixture to double without spilling over the pan). Add spices, instant coffee, and freshly ground white pepper.

3. Alternate adding the flour and buttermilk. I used a hand whisk, but one could use a stand mixture, on low. A splash guard is handy (based on the last gingerbread experiment).

4. Beat the egg until light yellow.

5. Add the egg, and then the baking powder.

6. Bake for about 33-35 minutes on the middle rack. (Check with cake tester and call it "done" when it comes out clean).

Notes: Mrs. Moody made this in small tins. Not sure if they were cupcakes or "mini-loaf" cakes. No time was given with the recipe, so had to guess. What intrigued me about this recipe is that it did not include any additional sugar. It also does not list salt as one of the ingredients, had fewer eggs than some of the other recipes I found, and had the molasses and shortening being cooked, with the egg being added to the recipe at the end.

Critique: It is a dense cake. It is very "gingery." Not quite as moist and sticky as I wanted, but that is probably because of the lack of additional sugar...next experiement--I'm adapting the Beaver Club's Banana Bread recipe (link was posted under the Banana Bread threads a couple of weeks ago) using molasses. I just have to pick up more black strap molasses! I'd make this one again.

So....how does it taste? Usually I find blackstrap molasses too bitter, especially with no other sugar added. Waiting to see how you like it.

Back
Top Bottom