"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO Dark, Moist Gingerbread recipe

The DH's grandma made the most amazing gingerbread. It was dark, moist, in a 9x13 pan. She gave me the recipe, but I lost it. Because of the disfunctionality in that family, no one has the recipe--she took it to her grave? I hope not. I know there was molasses in it, ginger (obviously) and that is all I can remember. It was very moist and very dark. She lived in Nova Scotia. I only made it once. My bad. Does anyone have a gingerbread recipe that might be like this? Although I'm still mad as a wet hen at the DH because his dog killed my two hens, I'd love to surprise him with this on Thanksgiving (Alix-LP-Rock--do you have recipe for this???).

Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Hi, I don't know if this will be as good as the one you remember, but I have made it and it is good, dark, sticky and moist.

Gingerbread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Master Chef

I used this recipe for the gingerbread and used the cream cheese frosting recipe. It was just like I remembered getting at church and school bake sales way back when.

Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Recipe (click for recipe)

Old 09-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Try this one: Eat Cake Novel - Amazing Gingerbread cake It's wonderful.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Here's an old recipe I really like. The crystallized ginger adds a nice textural aspect and a burst of flavor.

Gingerbread

2 C Flour
2 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
tsp Salt
C Chopped Crystallized Ginger (approx. 5 Oz.)
2 tsp Flour
C Unsalted Butter (rm. temp.)
C Golden Brown Sugar-Packed
1 C Light Molasses
1 C Boiling Water
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Egg (beaten to blend)

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly butter a 13x9x2 baking pan.

Sift the 2 cups of flour, ground ginger, cinnamon and salt into a medium bowl.

Mix the crystallized ginger with the 2 teaspoons of flour in a small bowl.

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Add the brown sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.

Mix the molasses, the boiling water and the baking soda in another medium bowl to blend. Stir it into the butter/sugar mixture.

Stir in the dry ingredients and then the egg and the crystallized ginger mixture.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F. and bake for about 12 more minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake. It is done when the toothpick comes out clean.

Cool the pan on a rack for 30 minutes. Turn the cake out onto a rack and
cool it completely.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Everymom

OK, here is the gingerbread cake I've been using. It was originally Ishbel's (here on DC) but I've modified things a bit.

1.25 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar (darker sugar for stickier cake!)
3/4 cup molasses and fill to 1 cup with golden syrup
1 egg
1 cup milk

Set the oven to 350. Line the base of a 8x8 square cake tin with non-stick baking parchment, and butter the sides.

Sift the flour with baking soda, ginger, cinnamon.
Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Now beat in the molasses and golden syrup, then a heaped tablespoonful of the flour mixture followed by the egg.
Beat in the remaining flour, followed by the milk, until the mixture forms a smooth batter.
Scrape into the prepared tin. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until firm to the touch. Test by inserting a skewer deep into the centre. If it comes out clean then it is done. Let the gingerbread cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.

I also make gingerbread cookies, but the batter could make a nice flattish pan of cake.

4.5 cups flour
3/4 cup molasses fill to 1 cup with golden syrup
1 cup white sugar
1 cup lard
3 eggs
1 tsp each of: cloves, ginger, baking soda, baking powder.

Cream lard and sugar and pour in molasses while creaming. Add eggs one at a time til well blended then slowly add flour. Batter will be quite light. Either scoop cookies onto a greased cookie sheet and bake for 12 mins at 350 or pat whole batch of dough into a cookie sheet and bake for 20 mins at 350. Watch time as I've not done the whole dough thing for some time and can't remember the timing well. Its done when it looks dry on top.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix, what is golden syrup? I have never heard of it.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Hi, - not Alix, but golden syrup is an often used ingredient in the U.K. Here it is in all it's glory https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pi...w=1079&bih=536

I think the nearest equivalent would be white corn syrup?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's possible to get Lyle's Golden Syrup here in the states, it's fantastic.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Alix, what is golden syrup? I have never heard of it.
Golden syrup is sort of between molasses and simple syrup. I buy Roger's here. You could use corn syrup if you like though.

Tags
recipe

ISO Dark, Moist Gingerbread recipe The DH's grandma made the most amazing gingerbread. It was dark, moist, in a 9x13 pan. She gave me the recipe, but I lost it. Because of the disfunctionality in that family, no one has the recipe--she took it to her grave? I hope not. I know there was molasses in it, ginger (obviously) and that is all I can remember. It was very moist and very dark. She lived in Nova Scotia. I only made it once. My bad. Does anyone have a gingerbread recipe that might be like this? Although I'm still mad as a wet hen at the DH because his dog killed my two hens, I'd love to surprise him with this on Thanksgiving (Alix-LP-Rock--do you have recipe for this???). 3 stars 1 reviews