"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 09-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Never had Japanese mochi Ironchef but I will experiment with bibingka this week.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
Head Chef

Ironchef, Bibingka has a spongelike texture, sort of like a thick pancake topped with thinly sliced salted egg or Spanish Quezo de Bola cheese, that ones eats smothered with melting butter and grated fresh coconut meat.

Cassava cake is very sticky, gelatinous, pasty, yet firm and at the same time very soft and creamy, and topped with cheddar cheese and/or a rich creamy coconut glaze.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
You've hit it right on the dot Chopstix! So what I'm looking for is actually Cassava cake because it is exactly how you've described it. Thanks again...searching for recipe now.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:43 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Finally, a subject I'm very familiar with. I'm an American Filipina, cook and bake many traditional meals and desserts.

As with any dish, ask 10 people their recipe for, i.e. apple pie and you will get 10 different recipes, maybe similiar, maybe vastly different, but different from each other more than likely.

So with Bibingka, different Filipinos have their own version. Most recipes use sweet rice flour (Mochiko is a popular brand) and some use rice flour for a more "cakey" bibingka. Some use more eggs for a more "eggy" custard like texture. Hopefully, you have access to Asian food stores who carry frozen grated cassava. My recipe for Cassava Bibingka differs slightly from your linked recipe, if interested I'll post mine. Good luck and hope you report your results!
Old 09-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Yep, you're describing Bibingka. Golden color? Buttery, chewy, fabulous?
Here you go, and you don't need anything exotic beyond your local grocery store.

Bowl 1:
2 cups Mochiko (rice flour)
1/4th tsp. salt
1 Tbs. baking powder

Bowl 2:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 cup melted butter

Blend bowl 1 into bowl 2, pour into buttered cake pan. Sprinkle 1 cup shredded coconut on top and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Cut like brownies.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Your link is to Cassava Bibingka, are you sure it contained cassava?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #17
Head Chef

Enmisme and Jaye, I think Dina is looking to make a cassava cake, not bibingka. There's enough confusion already so using phrases like 'cassava bibingka' (what's that?!) is not helping.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:22 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Chopstix - Why are Jaye and I singled out as confusing the issue?? (Oh wait, I just noticed, we're both newbies with less than 20 posts to the board.)

So you must not have read Dina's post where she linked to a "Cassava Bibingka" recipe thinking that's what she was looking for. With all due respect, I don't think she's sure what ingredients were in this dessert. I was just trying to share my thoughts since I am Filipina and know and eat the food on a daily basis.

And Chopstix... thanks for the "warm" welcome.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #19
Head Chef

Ok Enmisme, no need for sarcasm. I did not check out Dina's link beforehand where the recipe is called Cassava Bibingka. So I apologize for thinking you coined that phrase (which sounded like some mutant dessert). Cassava Cake is what it is normally called in Manila (at the popular outlets like Goldilocks, Via Mare, and Latik) and Bibingka is a totally different product but very popular as well.

As you can read from the preceding posts, Dina was trying to zero in on the name of the mystery dessert. Somebody (Ironchef) mentioned Bibingka and I clarifed that this was totally different from Cassava cake.

After that explanation, it was puzzling that you and Jaye used the term Bibingka again by itself and Bibingka used alone does not refer to Cassava Cake nor to Cassava Bibingka.

If you're in the Philippines and you order Bibingka, what you'll get is the thick pancake with salted egg or quezo de bola -- not what Dina is looking for.

So I hope you understand why I felt the need to put a stop to the wrong identification/naming of the dessert.

To your point about my singling you and Jaye out because you are newbies, I'm afraid you jumped to the wrong conclusion using very circumstancial evidence.

And Enmisme... I'm sorry we set out on the wrong footing. I hope you stay and enjoy it here in DC.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:24 AM   #20
Head Chef

Here's what a Bibingka looks like.

Tags
None