"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 10-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I took it the other way, that he did take it to 234 degrees which would be about 9 degrees higher than it should have been heated due to the elevation. That would have resulted in a harder candy.
Oh yeah, didn't mean to indicate that the corn syrup be added later, but was wondering if added at the beginning and then the candy cooked to too high of a temp if it would prevent the breakage. I agree it helps with fudge cooked to the correct temperature.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
Everymom

Temp too high or cooked too long. You only need to cook fudge to softball stage. I don't have a candy thermometer and my fudge works every time.

Keep a cup of water with ice cubes in it next to the stove. After you've boiled your mixture for a minute, drip some fudgy liquid in the water. If you can get your liquid to form a soft little ball, your fudge is done. Take it out, and put the pan into some cool water in the sink and beat the crap out of it for a minute or so. Don't worry about getting a matte finish as much as feeling the fudge set up and get thick. You'll feel it.

If you go past the soft ball stage of cooking you end up with crackle and very dry stuff. Its lovely all smashed up and put on top of ice cream or in the middle of an ice cream cake.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Yes, if he did take it to 9 degrees higher, it would be a tougher candy. If you add more corn syrup, it can help compensate for the overcooking and overstirring, but only to a certain point. After all, you don't want the fudge to end up tasting more like corn syrup than chocolate!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Temp too high or cooked too long. You only need to cook fudge to softball stage. I don't have a candy thermometer and my fudge works every time.

Keep a cup of water with ice cubes in it next to the stove. After you've boiled your mixture for a minute, drip some fudgy liquid in the water. If you can get your liquid to form a soft little ball, your fudge is done. Take it out, and put the pan into some cool water in the sink and beat the crap out of it for a minute or so. Don't worry about getting a matte finish as much as feeling the fudge set up and get thick. You'll feel it.
I have to admit I'm a slave to the thermometer. I admire those who can make candy using the glass of ice water method. I suppose soft ball is soft ball regardless of elevation? Then one doesn't have to worry about the actual temperature but more the texture in the glass of water. Seems to make sense.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #15
Everymom

Exactly. You don't need to fuss about temperatures, its all about when the candy gets to the stage you want it to be at. And the best part is getting to eat your "tests"!

Edit: I live at 2200ft roughly, so I never know whether to add or subtract time for stuff. I just wing it most of the time, and try to adapt with methods that don't require too much calculation. Mom taught me soft ball, so that's what I use.

I still screw up occasionally, but that's usually because I'm attempting to multitask and do something stupid like text while cooking. Bad idea.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I agree! I think I eat more of the "tests" than I'm supposed to and invariably wonder where all the fudge has gone!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I lived at 7000 ft for most of my young life, I always just went by the temp on the thermometer, I only worried about High Altitude when I was baking. Candy always turned out just right.

Now I have problems with baking at a Lower Altitude...things just don't "feel" right and I tend to over mix. Funny how a lifetime of habit can be messed up by a simple move.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I'm sure! I have never baked at high altitudes, but am told that there's a host of problems that go along with the altitude. So you under mix at high altitudes?
Old 10-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #19
Head Chef

One thing I learned is don't skimp on the sugar by using a store brand. Buy a good quality brand like Dominios. I did once and I got goo for fudge and had to throw it out. Worth the extra money as you save from not throwing out .
Old 10-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotuile View Post
I'm sure! I have never baked at high altitudes, but am told that there's a host of problems that go along with the altitude. So you under mix at high altitudes?
I'm not sure, exactly, but I suspect that I am over kneading when I make bread...I can't seem to get the right feel most of the time. I've had to go back to the basics. Like trying to relearn how to ride a bike...

Tags
tips