"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 02-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Merlot, I don't know why I didn't think of it before because I know she has a cookbook, but upon reading your post I decided to get my hands on a copy too. I always get my cookbooks at the public library first, and read them maybe test some of the recipes. If the cookbook has just a few recipes I like I'll scan them but if they are chock full of good recipes then I buy my own copy, usually at Amazon. And I can continue to use the library copy while I wait my free shipping week for Amazon to get it to me. My library has 5 copies and I'm 5th in line so I hope to have my hands on it in a few weeks.

It's interesting to note the subtitle of her book: "Recipes from an accidental country girl." That right there makes it obvious that she has no pretensions of being a real pioneer woman. Even with her nom de plume she is poking fun at herself. I'm sure that "pioneer" is tongue in cheek.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #42
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Merlot, I don't know why I didn't think of it before because I know she has a cookbook, but upon reading your post I decided to get my hands on a copy too. I always get my cookbooks at the public library first, and read them maybe test some of the recipes. If the cookbook has just a few recipes I like I'll scan them but if they are chock full of good recipes then I buy my own copy, usually at Amazon. And I can continue to use the library copy while I wait my free shipping week for Amazon to get it to me. My library has 5 copies and I'm 5th in line so I hope to have my hands on it in a few weeks.

It's interesting to note the subtitle of her book: "Recipes from an accidental country girl." That right there makes it obvious that she has no pretensions of being a real pioneer woman. Even with her nom de plume she is poking fun at herself. I'm sure that "pioneer" is tongue in cheek.
I hope you enjoy it, I know I did, I like her humor but then again I will read anything stuck in front of me. I was the kid who stayed up late at night to read a book not watch tv. I am also the annoying person who says "oh well I read the other day "insert information for anything."

Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I took me one night to read her book, recipes and all. I enjoyed every bit of it.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I was the kid who stayed up late at night to read a book not watch tv.
I remember as a kid staying up later than my parents wanted me to, reading Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer novels under the bed covers, with a flashlight! Biggest laugh of all, I got the paperbacks from my grandma!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

are there any cookbooks from hockey players?

i used to stay up at night when i was a kid, hiding a small a.m. transistor radio and earpiece under my blankets so i could listen to hockey games.

boy how things have changed. i saw my son setting up multiple records on the dvr the other day for shows that run past his bedtime. he whipped through the menus like he wrote the software.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
are there any cookbooks from hockey players?

i used to stay up at night when i was a kid, hiding a small a.m. transistor radio and earpiece under my blankets so i could listen to hockey games.

boy how things have changed. i saw my son setting up multiple records on the dvr the other day for shows that run past his bedtime. he whipped through the menus like he wrote the software.
Reminds me of my nephew, sitting on Grandpa's lap and making his own programs for screensavers. By the time he was 10, he got so good at it, Dad had to ask him how he did it. Dad was at the forefront of home computers.

As kids, if we were in bed and reading we were allowed to read as long as we wanted. Mom still got us up at the same time in the morning for school. We learned the right time to turn the lights off.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

This past fall, my great nephew, who is 4 was sitting in his car seat with his own laptop. They were parked in mom's driveway and he says to me, I found Meme's wifi, do you know the password? That kinda blew my mind that a 4 year old not only had his own laptop, but knew how to search for and connect to wifi!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Patron looks like he's part O-grrrrrr. Cute!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #49
Sous Chef

Iced Coffee

This may take the thread even further off-topic, but I'm fascinated by Pioneer Woman's method of making Iced Coffee. She gives full credit, BTW, to Imbibe Magazine (complete with link), where she first learned of the method.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I make iced coffee the easy way. When my coffee gets cold, I pour it into a tumbler and place in the fridge and make a fresh cup. When the tumbler is full in the afternoon, I drink it cold, already "seasoned" the way I like it!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None