Lemon Bar problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robinz

Assistant Cook
I have this really great recipe for lemon bars. I bake them in a 9x13 pyrex. The problem is that about 1/4 of an inch around the edge is hard and chewy. Should I be baking these in something made of a different material? The middle is really very good but I would like to solve this problem. Could it be the oven is to hot? I'm having a new stove/oven delivered on Tues. One of the many reasons for the new one was because the temp was off and I'm not sure it was off a consistant amount.

Don't know if it matters but here is the recipe

crust:
2 Cups flour
1 Cup butter
1/2 Cup powdered Sugar

Mix well and pack into a 9x13 pan and bake 20 min. at 350

4 eggs
2 Cups granulated Sugar
6 Tbsp. lemon juice
4 Tbsp flour
1 tsp baking powder

Pour topping over crust and bake an additional 25 min. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. When cool cut into bars.

I'd try them in a metal pan and see what results you get. I love pyrex baking ware for casseroles, but when I bake a loaf cake in metal and one in pyrex, I tend to have better baking quality from the metal pan.

Not a bad idea. I found a recipe over at CI and they show using parchment paper under their recipe. I may try that also. Although I won't be trying anything till they install my new stove. :)

I have that same recipe and always baked it a glass dish with out problems. I found not packing the crust down to much works good. Also I put strips of al. foil around the edges like you would on a pie crust. Or line the dish with parchment paper an leave extra on the edges to fold over. I love this recipe. It is a refreshing dessert.

Gretchen, have you found that the be true when ever you bake anything in glass or do you think for just this type of recipe?

Glass dishes tend to cook the foods about 25*F hotter than the indicated temperature.

I have yet to get an oven that actually cooked at the indicated temperature. That's probably because I always have a pizza stone in the oven to regulate the temperature a bit. I always keep an oven thermometer in my oven, so I know if the oven is off, then I adjust accordingly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom