Lemon Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry... but I have a stupid question... Whats lemon zest?

Not a stupid question.

It's the yellow outer skin of the lemon. It is usually removed with a zester tool or a microplane grater. It's important to use only the yellow part of the skin and not the white pith underneath. The pith is bitter.

Icing sugar is powdered sugar. It's typically called icing sugar in Britain and Australia (and other countries).

Now that you know, you'll be expected to answer the question the next time it's asked.

It has to be a fine grater such as one you would use for parmesan cheese, not a large hole one that you would use for shredded cheddar or mozzarella.

You can also use a vegetable peeler to peel strips, just make sure not to peel too deep. Then use a knife to mince it up real fine.

2 cups flour
1 cup cold butter
1/2 cup icing sugar

Buzz in food processor till consistency of coarse cornmeal. Press into a 9x13 pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 350 oven.

4 beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
8 tbsps lemon juice (120 ml)
1+ tsp lemon zest
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp flour (60 ml)

Mix eggs, sugar, add lemon juice, zest and baking powder, stir gently. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture on cooked base and return to oven for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar when cooled.

That reminds me of my mom's lemon sours, except she put coconut in the filling, and used a glaze instead of the powdered sugar on top.
I'm not fond of coconut, but in this recipe, it just adds a nice chewy texture.
They were delicious, as I'm sure yours are!

Last edited:
Okay, sorry to sound stupid, and redundant, but you do use the lemon zest right? And if I don't have any, what could I subsitute it with?

Okay, sorry to sound stupid, and redundant, but you do use the lemon zest right? And if I don't have any, what could I subsitute it with?

Yes. This recipe has you add the zest. The zest provides an excellent sharp, tart lemon flavor you can't get from the juice alone. I don't think there is a quick substitute, just make it without the zest.

great recipe

i made these today and was glad with the discovery.this is a unique recipe,thanks very much alix.i was feeling lazy so didnt add the lemon zest,but i will next time as i'm sure they will be even tastier then.the only modification i plan to do the next time is,to use a little less sugar.i thought they were a bit too sweet.but great recipe that i know i will make again and again and again.

My husband thought that they were super sweet too. I didnt think they were *too* sweet, but might add a little less sugar next time also. They were still fabulous!!!

4 beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
1+ tsp lemon zest
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp flour (60 ml)

Hi...how much lemon zest do you use? Is it 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon, or the zest of 1 lemon plus 1teaspoon, or 1 plus one half teaspoons....or am I thinking about lemon too much??

You're thinking too hard. LOL, it is one large teaspoon. Really though, I just toss in whatever I want. I like LOTS of zest though.

4 beaten eggs
2 cups sugar
1+ tsp lemon zest
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp flour (60 ml)

Hi...how much lemon zest do you use? Is it 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon, or the zest of 1 lemon plus 1teaspoon, or 1 plus one half teaspoons....or am I thinking about lemon too much??

Miandoria, "1+ tsp lemon zest" would most likely mean "one teaspoon plus a little" as in "1 rounded teaspoon" or "1 heaping teaspoon". ;)

Back
Top Bottom