Let's Talk Brownies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merstarr

Senior Cook
What's your most decadent, rich, deep chocolatey, FROM SCRATCH brownie recipe?

Here are two of mine.

The first one is unusually, extremely, excessively, gooey/fudgy - the chocolate/espresso taste is extraordinary. The only downside is the presentation - they're not too attractive due to the tanish color of the cream cheese/espresso mixture against the dark brown chocolate brownie mixture. But, hey, as long as you keep them for yourselves, family and very close friends, they're so good, no one will care!

The second one is more traditional - very fudgy, but not gooey. I use 1 1/2 cups of sugar instead of the listed 2 cups for a less sweet, deeper chocolate taste. Sometimes I top it with semi-sweet chocolate chips as soon as I remove the pan from the oven, then let it sit until chips start to melt, then spread them over the top - very delicious.

ESPRESSO SWIRL BROWNIES

From the author: "Adult Brownies. A jolt of strong espresso flavor, barely sweetened, makes a suave creamy complement to bittersweet bars. The moist gooey espresso mixture is more luxurious in contrast with a slightly cakier brownie."

INGREDIENTS:
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (chopped)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon instant coffee or espresso powder (I used espresso and strongly recommend it)
1 tablespoon water (I used hot water)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (softened to room temperature)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg

Equipment:
9-inch square pan, (I used an 8x8 pan, lightly buttered), lined across the bottom and up 2 opposite sides with parchment paper or foil.

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven.

Melt the butter with the chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a medium heatproof bowl set in a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until mixture is melted and smooth.

Remove the top of the double boiler (or the bowl) from the heat. Stir in the sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring until each is incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until the batter is smooth and glossy and comes away from the sides of the pan, about 1 minute. Spread all but 1/2 cup of the batter in the prepared pan. Set aside.

Combine the coffee (espresso) powder with the water. Set aside. Mix the cream cheese with the sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the egg and the coffee mixture until well blended. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the batter in the pan. Spoon dollops of reserved brownie batter on top. Without scraping the bottom of the pan, draw a table knife through the dollops to swirl and marble the chocolate and espresso batter without thoroughly mixing them.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the brownies just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. (I did about 45-50 minutes, (in 8x8 pan), until the center was set, ie, stopped jiggling when shaken). Cool on a rack. Refrigerate and chill thoroughly before cutting, about 2 hours. (I chilled overnight).

Slide a knife between the pan and the brownies on the unlined sides. Lift the ends of the parchment or foil liner and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 16 squares. May be stored, airtight, in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.

© 1999 by Alice Medrich
Edited by Meryl

BAKER'S CHOCOLATE ONE BOWL BROWNIES (With Cream Cheese Variation)

(Haven't tried the Cream Cheese Variation yet).

4 squares (4 oz) Baker's unsweetened chocolate
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
2 c sugar (I use 1 1/2 cups)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c flour
1 c chopped nuts, optional (I omit them)
(can also add 2-4 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped OR 2-4 oz (1/3-2/3 cup) semisweet chocolate chips, optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 F *(see note below).

Grease a 13x9 pan (or an 8x8 pan) OR line with foil and grease foil. (Note: I use an 8x8 pan - the recipe calls for a 13x9 inch pan, but an 8x8 makes thicker brownies).

Microwave chocolate and butter in large microwave bowl at high 2 minutes or until butter is melted. (I use a double boiler). Stir until chocolate is completely melted.

Stir sugar into melted chocolate mixture. Mix in eggs and vanilla until well blended. Stir in flour, then nuts and chocolate chips, if using. Spread in prepared pan.

4. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. DO NOT OVERBAKE! Cool in pan; cut into squares.

Makes 24 fudgy brownies.

*Note: When using glass baking dish, (or dark pan), bake at 325 degrees. For cake-like brownies, stir in 1/2 cup milk with eggs; use 1 1/2 cups flour.

Variation:

Cream Cheese Brownies

Use 4 eggs in place of 3 in brownie recipe
8 oz cream cheese
1/3 c sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp flour

Mix brownies as directed above, using 4 eggs in place of 3.

Pour batter in prepared pan.

Mix cream cheese, sugar, egg and flour. Beat until well mixed.
Spread over brownie batter, then swirl with a knife to marbleize.
Bake 40 minutes.

Edited from Baker's Chocolate

White Chocolate Brownies:

6oz white chocolate, cut up
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick (4oz) butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
6oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut up
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°. In a 2-quart glass bowl, combine white chocolate pieces, sugar, and butter. Heat in microwave oven on High about 1-1/2 minutes, or until melted and smooth when stirred.

With a whisk or fork, beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended. Add flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until well mixed. Stir in bittersweet chocolate and walnuts.

Spread evenly in a buttered, foil lined 7x11 inch baking pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not overbake. Let cool, then cut into 24 pieces.

Sorry these aren't chocolaty.

Caramel Brownies

2 sticks butter or margarine
1 box light brown sugar
2C. all-purpose flour
1C. chopped nuts
1Tbsp. granulated sugar
3 eggs
1C. coconut

Cream butter, then add sugars: cream well. Add 1 egg at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add flour, mix well. fold in coconut & nuts. Pour batter into a greased & floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes. Cool before slicing.

merstarr said:
Anyone??????? :shock:
Hi Merstarr,
I just stumbled over your recipes. Since I have a s-i-l who's favorite dessert is BROWNIES, these will make him very happy indeed! :LOL:
thanks you for posting.
kadesma :)

EBONIES (Brownies)

2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Dutch-process black cocoa
1/4 cup natural cocoa

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs, melted butter, vegetable oil and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the dry ingredients (carefully -- as you know, cocoa tends to form a dark cloud over the mixer if you're not gentle), stirring until everything is well-combined.

Scrape the batter into a lightly greased 9 x 9-inch pan, and bake the brownies in a preheated 350°F oven for about 35 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool in the pan until they're just barely warm before cutting. Yield: about 16 delightful brownies.

RASPBERRY TRUFFLE BROWNIES

makes 12

3/4 cup unsalted butter
4oz.unsweetened chocolate
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup raspberry jam
3T Chambord
1 cup flour
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9inch springform with oil spray. Melt butter and chocolate in large saucepan over low heat, stirring til smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in eggs, 2 cups sugar, jam and liqueur. Stir in flour and salt, then chocolate chips. Transfer batter to pan. Bake til tester comes out with moist crumbs, about 45 minutes. Cool in pan. Dust with powdered sugar.

BROWNIE CARAMEL PECAN BARS

makes 16

½ cup sugar
2T butter
2T water
2 cups choc. chips
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt

Heat oven to 350. Line 9 inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Grease and flour foil.
Combine sugar, butter and water; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, til boiling. Remove from heat and immediately add 1 cup chocolate chips; stir til melted. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt. Spread into prepared pan.
Bake 15-20 minutes or til brownies begin to pull away from sides.

Prepare Caramel topping:
25 caramels ¼ cup butter 2T milk

Microwave at high 1 minute. Stir. Microwave an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, or til caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Use immediately.
Remove brownies from oven and immediately spread with prepared topping. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cups chocolate chips and 1 cup pecan pieces. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.

kadesma said:
merstarr said:
Anyone??????? :shock:
Hi Merstarr,
I just stumbled over your recipes. Since I have a s-i-l who's favorite dessert is BROWNIES, these will make him very happy indeed! :LOL:
thanks you for posting.
kadesma :)

You're very welcome, kadesma! :)

Juliev said:
come on choclatechef, where are ya? :LOL:

I'm so sorry. I really don't know what recipe to post. I have gotten so many wonderful brownie recipes off this site or that site, I don't know if the one I would post actually came from here! :?

I get so confused! :oops:

choclatechef said:
Juliev said:
come on choclatechef, where are ya? :LOL:

I'm so sorry. I really don't know what recipe to post. I have gotten so many wonderful brownie recipes off this site or that site, I don't know if the one I would post actually came from here! :?

I get so confused! :oops:

So what? Post one anyway!

ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES

3 SQUARES UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE
2 SQUARES SEMI SWEET CHOCOLATE - COARSELY CHOPPED
1/2 CUP BUTTER
1 CUP FLOUR
1/2 TSP. SALT
1/4 TSP. BAKING POWDER
1 1/2 CUP SUGAR
3 LARGE EGGS
1 TSP. VANILLA
1/4 CUP SOUR CREAM
1/2 MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS
1/2 CUP CHOPPED WALNUTS.

PUT 3 SQUARES UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE , 2 SQUARES SEMI SWEET CHOCOLATE - COARSELY CHOPPED AND 1/2 CUP BUTTER IN MICROWAVE ON HIGH FOR 2 MINUTES. STIR UNTIL CHOCOLATE IS MELTED AND COOL
STIR TOGETHER 1 CUP FLOUR, 1/2 TSP. SALT, 1/4 TSP. BAKING POWDER
BEAT 1 1/2 CUP SUGAR, 3 LARGE EGGS, 1 TSP. VANILLA IN MIXER BOWL AT MEDIUM SPEED TILL SLIGHTLY THICKENED. BEAT IN CHOCOLATE MIXTURE. ADD FLOUR MIXTURE, ADD 1/4 CUP SOUR CREAM, AND BEAT AT LOW SPEED. STIR IN 1/2 MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS AND 1/2 CUP CHOPPED WALNUTS.

SPREAD EVENLY IN PREPARED 13 X 9 PAN AND BAKE AT 350 20 MINUTES. COOL ON WIRE RACK 10 MINUTES

BROWNIE SUNDAE

4 OUNCES SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE, CHOPPED
1/2 CUP UNSALTED BUTTER
1 CUP SUGAR
3/4 TEASPOON SALT
3/4 CUP WALNUTS, CHOPPED
3 LARGE EGGS
1/2 CUP MINI SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
1 CUP ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR
1 TEASPOON VANILLA EXTRACT
CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
1/4 CUP UNSALTED BUTTER
4 OUNCES SEMISWEET CHOCOLATE
2 TABLESPOONS CORN SYRUP
1/2 TEASPOON RUM EXTRACT
PINCH SALT
3 PINTS VANILLA ICE CREAM

1. HEAT OVEN TO 350E°. LINE 13 X 9 X 2-INCH BAKING PAN WITH NONSTICK FOIL, LEAVING OVERHANG.
2. BROWNIE: IN SAUCEPAN, MELT CHOCOLATE AND BUTTER OVER MEDIUM HEAT, STIRRING UNTIL SMOOTH. REMOVE FROM HEAT. STIR IN SUGAR, SALT AND WALNUTS. STIR IN EGGS, ONE AT A TIME. STIR IN CHIPS, FLOUR AND VANILLA. POUR INTO PREPARED PAN. 3. BAKE IN 350E° OVEN FOR 30 MINUTES.
4. SAUCE: IN SAUCEPAN, MELT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE OVER MEDIUM HEAT, STIRRING UNTIL SMOOTH. STIR IN CORN SYRUP, RUM EXTRACT AND SALT. KEEP WARM.
5. LIFT BROWNIE FROM PAN. WHILE STILL WARM, CUT INTO 1-INCH PIECES. PLACE 4 PIECES IN DESSERT BOWLS. TOP WITH 1/2 CUP ICE CREAM AND 2 MORE PIECES. DRIZZLE WITH SAUCE. SERVE.

Brownie Pudding

The Batter:

1 Cup Flour
1 ½ Tsp. Baking Powder
½ Tsp. Salt
¼ Cup Butter
½ Cup Milk
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
2/3 Cup Sugar
1 Ounce Unsweetened Chocolate, Melted

The Pudding:

½ Cup Sugar
½ Cup Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp. Cocoa
¼ Tsp. Salt
1 ½ Cups Boiling Water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; Sift flower, baking powder, salt and set aside
2. Cream butter and white sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in flower mixture and milk until just blended
3. Stir in melted chocolate and vanilla extract until just blended. Pour batter into a 8”/8”/2” square pan
4. Combine ½ cup sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, 3 Tbsp. cocoa, ¼ Tsp. salt and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle mixture evenly over brownie. Sprinkle boiling water evenly over powder
5. Bake for 40-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted at center comes out clean of brownie bits (ignoring pudding)

Crunch Brownies:

1 cup butter or margarine; softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
6 tb baking cocoa
1 cups flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups 12 oz) semisweet choc chips
3 cups Rice Crispies

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar; add eggs. Stir in cocoa, flour,
vanilla and salt. Spread into a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake at
350 for 25 minutes or until brownies test done. Cool. spread marshamallow creme over cooled brownies. In a small saucepan, melt the peanut butter and chocolate chips over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in the cereal. Spread over marshmallow layer. Chill before cutting. Store in the refrigerator... makes 3 dozen.

I wuz just thinkin the same thing, middie! Either that, or check in to the Cleveland Clinic pretty dang soon.

Hey, jools, nice to see yer face!!!

Truffle Dessert Brownies

• 4 eggs, separated
• Powdered sugar
• 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
• 1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) butter

Heat oven to 425°F. Grease bottom of 9-inch square baking pan.

Melt butter over low heat. Add cocoa and 1 cup sugar; stir well. Remove from heat; cool about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and vanilla. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Beat egg whites with 1 tablespoon sugar until soft peaks form; gradually fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are firm (center will be slightly soft). Cool completely. Refrigerate about 4 hours. Let stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with powdered sugar. 20 servings.

Back
Top Bottom