Looking for cassava desserts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Got some frozen cassava at the Philippino store today and was hoping to get some yummy dessert ideas. Any recipes out there that you'd like to share? Thanks.

Hi Dina, my two favorites are cassava cake and pichi-pichi. These are both delicious Filipino snacks/desserts.

Here's my TNT cassava recipe:

Cassava Cake
Filling:

3 pcs Eggs
¾ Cup White sugar
¾ Cup Coconut cream
¾ tsp Iodised salt
½ Cup Evaporated milk
2 Cups Well-peeled, finely grated, almost liquified
(Yield from 750g unpeeled cassava root)
¼ Cup Melted butter

Topping:

1½ T Flour
¾ Cup Coconut Cream
3 pcs Pandan leaves, tied in a small knot
¼ tsp Iodised salt
1 Cup Condensed milk
1 pc Eggyolk

• In a big bowl, mix sugar, salt, grated cassava, and some coconut milk.
  • Add beaten eggs and mix.
  • Add evaporated milk plus rest of coconut milk.
  • Add melted butter.
  • Consistency of mixture should be like sludge.
  • Pour into 6x6 square pan lined with wax paper topped with oiled banana leaves or pandan leaves. Aim for 1½ inch thickness.
  • Bake in 350F oven for 30 minutes or until firm (if thick pan). Lower temp to 325F if thin pan.

• In a saucepan, dissolve flour in a little coconut cream. Add rest of coconut cream and heat over low fire while stirring. Add salt and pandan leaves. When simmering add condensed milk, and whisk constantly for 15 min.
  • Off heat and whisk in yolk then return to heat for a few minutes.
  • Pour evenly over cooked cassava cake. Top with grated quick melting cheese.
  • Broil at 350F until golden brown.
Here's a Pichi-Pichi recipe that I got from the internet. I've never made it myself.

Pich Pichi
Ingredients
  • 2 cups grated cassava (see note)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups pandan water (see note)
  • Grated coconut, for garnish
Directions
Combine all ingredients, except the coconut. Pour into 2 9-inch round pans. Steam for 45 minutes or until set. Cool. Form into balls, then roll in grated coconut.

Note: Cassava is a root vegetable, also called manioc and yuca, available in Asian and Latin markets. It is the base ingredient in tapioca. Pandan is related to lauhala, classified as a pandanus plant, and is widely available in Asian markets. It is sometimes called fragrant screwpine. The leaves are used throughout Asia as a flavoring. To make pandan water, boil the leaves from 4 pandan stalks in 2 cups of water until fragrant. Cool.

Thank you Chopstix! I have printed and on my way to the market to get the pandan leaves. I will let you know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom