Margarita Truffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
My sister sent me a couple dozen limes from her tree. They are truly the most lovely limes I've ever seen. After looking around for as many lime recipes as I could find, I settled on this, amongst others.

12 oz. vanilla wafers
1/2 c pretzel crumbs
16 oz 10X, sifted
3/4 C frozen margarita or limeade concentrate
6 oz cream cheese
1t tequila (optional)----personally, I'll probably 3X that!
1t triple sec (optional) see above!
zest from 1 lime, divided
green decorator sugar
1C granulated sugar

Method:
Process the vanilla wafers to fine crumbs. If you can actually find them already ground in the supermarket, great! Add pretzels (about a cup) to process and process to make fine crumbs. A cup should yield 1/2 C crumbs. Combine the wafer crumbs, prezeel crumbs, 10X, margarita concentrate and cream cheese in a large bowl. Add tequila and triple sec. Stir till well blended and dividing the mixture in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap. Set aside.

Combine half the lime with the green sugar (1/2 C or so) and half the lime with the white sugar in small bowls. Shape the cheese mixture into balls just about the size of walnuts (1 inch), and then roll in one of the sugar bowls. Work quickly because the cheese balls dry quickly. Store in airtight container in fridge up to a week.

Okay, I'm doing this tomorrow afternoon. I'll try to find a low fat wafer, if possible, and more than likely use fat free cream cheese.

This yields 7 dozen.....more than enough to share with a friend or two.

Last edited:
I am so happy I am your friend!!:clap:

My darling, I would so love to enjoy these with you, swinging on the garden swing, watching the fire crackle in the fireplace, and tossing back tequila shots and sucking fresh lime wedges!

Sounds delicious, Vera. Do you mean 3/4 cup or 3/4 of the container?

Ahem.....:huh::glare::ermm:......If I were a dishonest woman, I would say "whatever are you speaking of?"....but since I'm pure as the driven snow, I must thank you for pointing out my typing faux pas. I have corrected it to read as it should, 3/4 C frozen margarita concentrate.;)

Holy crap these sound good! I'm at work darn it so I can't copy and paste into my files. Please help me not to lose this little gem of a recipe!

Thanks for asking the question QSis... I was wondering myself! These def. sound wonderful.... let us know how you like them Vera!

Thanks for asking the question QSis... I was wondering myself! These def. sound wonderful.... let us know how you like them Vera!

Sorry about not being clearer regarding 10X. It's a term we use at work and it carries over to regular conversation. You should see the look on my kids face when someone says 'powdered sugar'. They only know for 10X!

Sorry about not being clearer regarding 10X. It's a term we use at work and it carries over to regular conversation. You should see the look on my kids face when someone says 'powdered sugar'. They only know for 10X!

HA! I can see your kids over at a neighbors house when a conversation like that comes up!!! Are your kids interested in cooking at all Vera?

HA! I can see your kids over at a neighbors house when a conversation like that comes up!!! Are your kids interested in cooking at all Vera?

My daughter is quite accomplished and can easily handle cooking for several people. She's almost 19. My son....loves to eat yet rarely gets involved in the cooking. He cooked more when he was 3 than he does now at 21.

Yum Yum Yum! These are delicious! I used neufchatel instead of regular cream cheese. They are very soft, so I am keeping them in the freezer. The flavour is so bright, it bursts in your mouth. I didn't bother with the fake green sugar. I don't care for that food colour fakeness. I just used regular sugar blended with the lime zest.

Vera's Margarita Truffles

OK, the original thread is too old for me to post in. (Never run into THAT before!)

My question for all you bakers out there is whether I can use True Lime crystals and crushed ice instead of lime zest/juice?

Oh--these good. I have almost everything...going grocery shopping on Friday afternoon...and planning on baking this weekend...hummmm...maybe I can convince myself these could be a traditional scandinavian christmas treat...

Alix--I would go get a lime. My aunt didn't have any lemon juice--she put lemon extract in a blueberry pie...it didn't work. Don't they sell limes in Edmonton?

Back
Top Bottom