"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 02-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Meringue Not a meringue dessert bar?

I am looking for a dessert bar that when baked, a thin type of meringue forms across the top. Crisp thin layer. It may be the egg whites and yolks are folded into the batter separate or the egg -sugar mix floats to the top while baking. It is not a true meringue in the sense it is not piled high or put on separately like a lemon pie.

This is probably not that rare or difficult. I just can't think of a recipe that is like this. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Do you mean like the crust on top of brownies? I baked a flourless chocolate torte yesterday that formed a crust a little thicker than on brownies, I suspect it was the 6 egg whites beaten to meringue that were folded in to the batter that caused this. Are you looking for a specific recipe? 😊

Old 02-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Yes, it is like that thin crust/ layer that forms on tops of brownies. I wasn't necessarily thinking chocolate because I have had some other dessert bars where this was achieved.

I'm trying to think of an unusual dessert to serve as a Valentine's surprise next week.

If your flourless chocolate torte does this, I would be pleased if you would share your recipe. Chocolate is Always a hit.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

We sell a chess square at work that comes in frozen. It's a shortbread type crust with a soft layer of something on top, but the topping forms this brownie-like top that is a little crunchy. They are similar to a gooey butter cake, but not exactly the same. It could be that I've never had a gooey butter cake made without a cake mix.

Every recipe that I find when I google "chess squares" comes up with a cake mix version, like this one.
http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipe...s-squares.html

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Yes, it is like that thin crust/ layer that forms on tops of brownies. I wasn't necessarily thinking chocolate because I have had some other dessert bars where this was achieved.

I'm trying to think of an unusual dessert to serve as a Valentine's surprise next week.

If your flourless chocolate torte does this, I would be pleased if you would share your recipe. Chocolate is Always a hit.
This is not what you are after, but it has that Valentine's day feel.

Raspberry-Almond Squares Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Aunt Bea, the raspberry squares make me a smile and indeed feel like Valentine's and what's better, is I have home made raspberry preserves in the cold pantry.

Bake Chef, yes this is what I am thinking of. I made lemon bars the other day, and the pan created this effect a little bit around the edges. I'm still trying to mentally picture what I have had at some time and / or where / and / or who made them. Twasn't me.

Here's a different pic that more clearly shows what I'm thinking of. Same chess squares recipe, looks almost over baked compared to your example.

Thank you both for your ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chess square.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	20728  
Old 02-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm working on the torte recipe Whisk, if you are still interested. I'm just having trouble posting it. ;)
Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Executive Chef

SomeBunny Don't sweat it if it won't copy properly today. Well of course I am still interested. I think I have only ever seen flourless chocolate cakes listed on dessert menus, never tasted.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The more sugar the more that the top will develop like that. I know what you are looking for and I enjoy that too.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Whisk, I am not very adept at linking stuff, but I think I have managed to link the recipe for the torte. I can't figure out how to make it look like others have and just have a "here" to click on, so you get the whole address. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f41/chocolate-hazelnut-torte-88974.html#post1343758

Tags
dessert, meringue