Microwaved Baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chocojun

Assistant Cook
Anyone ever try and bake in the microwave? I once saw a website that had recipes specifically for the microwave. I once bought a betty crocker microwaved brownie mix and it tasted horrible. Are there any real good microwave recipes?

I've tried - with some limited success. Obviously the cake never browns - but it does cook incredibly fast. I just used an easy, plain cake recipe (see below if you don't have one), put it in a round 1.5 or 2 qt dish (like Corningware makes) with an inverted (small) juice glass in the middle (the dish had been greased with either butter, marge or spray). Cooked the cake uncovered on high for 1 minute, checked it, rotated the dish, then 1 or 2 minutes more (in small increments of 30 seconds). Obviously the length of time is critical and depends on the wattage of your oven. It is such a small amount of time that you can easily overcook.
The juice glass in the middle of the dish is becuase cakes don't seem to cook in the middle in a microwave, and I didn't have a microwave safe bundt pan.
I will get more exact time directions for you from my cookbook (which is not with me).
The cake recipe is so simple - you don't have to even use a mixer, just a spoon (it's my MILs madera cake recipe, but I don't think it's a real madeira cake recipe, just a lazy way to make a quick cake!)
Dry Ingred:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 (scant) cup sugar
2 rounded tsp baking pwder
pinch salt
Wet:
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
vanilla (2 tsp or so)
Method
Sift dry ingred together
Melt butter and milk together,
Add butter and milk to dry ingred.
Whisk the eggs quickly with a fork before adding to mix. Lastly, add vanilla.
Stir a bit with a spoon - pour into baking dish
In a 700 watt microwave this will bake in 1 minute increments - stop, check (you'll see it rise really fast), rotate the dish, even if your microwave has a turntable). Do another minute - or even 30 seconds, watching closely. You'll see when it's done rising.
In a regular oven, just bake at 350 for about 1/2 hour.
This cake is good for use in trifle or as a base for something like strawberries and whipped cream. If not overcooked, should be very moist.

Microwave recipe:

Left over food--as needed
microwave safe plate--1 large

instructions: Put leftovers on plate and heat on high for 3 minutes.:LOL:

That's about all I think a microwave is good for.

Actually I did think of something. Famous Amos Cookies. You can pop them in the microwave for 3-5 seconds (depending on how many cookies.. I use that time for 3).. make them taste almost-homemade.

Chef Jimmy, what about:

melting butter
defrosting meat
making popcorn
boiling water

Not a fan of microwave "cooking", but it's good for a few things in addition to reheating leftovers. Some folks swear by it, though.

I agree with those things also, but cooking? Microwaves don't really make heat, they vibrate the moisture molicules in the food and the friction makes heat in the food. I just don't think a microwave is a good "cooking" appliance

What about oatmeal? (The instant kind. The other kind always--for me anyway--boils over the edge of the bowl.)

Even the instant oatmeal does that for me. It makes such a mess in the microwave.

I've tried lots of things in the microwave - only because for about a year we rented a place in Cape Town that had no stove. Obviously a stove, an oven is so much nicer - but sometimes you have to make do. Oatmeal - slow cook kind, will cook up nicely - 1/2 cup in a larger than average cereal bowl, pinch salt, cover with water, cook for 2 minutes. Yes, it will boil over if you don't check....

Chef_Jimmy said:
I agree with those things also, but cooking? Microwaves don't really make heat, they vibrate the moisture molicules in the food and the friction makes heat in the food. I just don't think a microwave is a good "cooking" appliance

I use my microwave a lot. It doesn't heat up the kitchen, and can save a lot time in clean-up.
Here are some more uses:
*sauteeing onions, peppers, celery, etc...put in bowl with butter, oil, or lipid of choice.
*browning ground meat for assorted dishes
*slow simmering spaghetti sauce...no need to worry about scorching.
*baking potatoes
*cooking bacon, Spam or meatballs
*steaming vegetables

Fool Proof way to cook Oatmeal in microwave

Chocoholic said:
What about oatmeal? (The instant kind. The other kind always--for me anyway--boils over the edge of the bowl.)

Get a big enough bowl..........I cook a 5 CUP serving of oatmeal most mornings and use a 2 1/2 QUART corning ware casserole dish. I have a newer microwave and it has a breakfast button. I use regular rolled oats and quick oats. My recipe is 2 1/2 cups milk/water and 1 1/3 cup oats. Add a bit of salt after cooking. Just push the Breakfast button and it stops cooking when the oatmeal is done.

I rely on the microwave for reheating leftovers and coffee, softening butter and chocolate. My cooking style is to make a large batch of something and eat it for days, couldn't do it without a microwave.

I can't say that I have had any success with microwave cooking my baking always comes out a little wet. But they do have these new microwavable cakes that taste decent. You can find them in the baking aisle with all of the other cake mixes.

The only way I make my baked potato is in the microwave... does anyone know how to make the potato skin crispy in the microwave?

Back
Top Bottom