Need recipe for easy Rhubarb bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2belucile

Senior Cook
I was given a good lot of very nice rhubarb stems, and would like to make some rhubarb bars that could I could take in a trip to a cottage on the beach. I found one recipe, but it has cream in it, so with the heat and the long travel (10 hours) they could go bad, I imagine. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Lucia

Hi lucia, I would stew the rhubarb (dice it, put it in a non reactive pot with a bit of water and a bunch of sugar) til it is like a thick applesauce. Then I would make a shortbread crust, bake that a bit and put the stewed rhubarb on that, top with some brown sugar, oats, butter and flour (crumble topping) and bake til it sets a bit (15 minutes or so?)

I can probably rough out some proportions for you if you tell me what size pan you want to use.

Thanks, Alix, I will do as you say. The pan is 9x12". I have about 6 nice, large and fat stems of rhubarb, than can be mixed with another fruit, also very nice called "tomate de arbol" o "tamarillo".
01.jpg
and like the rhubarb is a little tart.

6 stalks of rhubarb diced
1/2 - 1 cup of white sugar (to your taste)
1/3 cup water (or less, rhubarb has a lot of water in it)

Put all this in a non reactive pot and let it simmer on low for a while. When it mushes when you stir it with a spoon it is done. Let it simmer a little longer til it is an applesauce consistency. You can do this a day ahead.

OK, shortbread bottom...

1.5 cups butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 cups flour

Blend these together til they are a pasty consistency and press them into your pan. Bake for about 5-10 minutes at 350, take out of the oven.

Pour the stewed rhubarb on top. You might only want to use half of it, just see how much there is. I think you'll be good using it all.

Topping

1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup flour
1 cup softened butter

Mix these together til you have a crumbly consistency. Add a few more oats if it is too gooey. You want it to be nice and squishy though. Spread this on top of the stewed rhubarb and bake your creation for about 20 - 30 minutes. Watch it to be sure the topping doesn't get too brown.

Let me know how this works out for you. I'm sort of drooling right now and I think I'm going to go raid my freezer for some rhubarb!

I will be doing it probably on Thursday or Friday morning. I am sure everybody will love it, and like you, I am already drooling. I am grateful to you, Alix, for the nice recipe. Please keep well and have a nice day........(here is just 0.02 am)

Here is the recipe I use.

Crust
2c flour
3/4c powdered sugar
1c butter

Filling:
4c diced rhubarb
4 or 5 eggs (I've always used five)
2c sugar
1/2c flour
1/2t salt

Directions:
Cut the butter into the flour and sugar mixture with
a pastry blender until it makes pea sized granules.

Press into a jelly roll pan, 10" x 15", or for thicker
bars, a 9" x 13" pan.

Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

After baking the crust, butter the edges of the pan.

---------------
Spread the rhubarb evenly on the baked crust.

In a blender, mix the eggs, sugar, flour and salt to
make the custard mixture.

Pour the custard mixture on the rhubarb.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes (10 x 15" pan)
or for 50-55 minutes (9 x 13" pan).
Last edited by pdswife : 07-07-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Alix and pdswife: Thanks for the recipes, they are delicious!! I made Alix recipe last night, today I cut and tried them, packed some for the trip and like with magic, the rest ..........disapeared. Everybody in the family asked for the recipe. I have to translate it together with the one that PDSWife gave me. That one is to be prepared next time I get rhubarb, o perhaps will use the "tomate de arbol" o tamarillo.
Again, thanks a lot, and keep well!!! :winkiss:

Alix and pdswife:
Thanks again for the rhubarb squares recipes. They were a hit with everybody, I have to give the recipes to all, they were delicious. I will make them again soon.

PDSWife: I just finished preparing your recipe for the Rhubarb squares, for a meeting this afternoon. They are delicious!!
From now on my problem will be: which recipe do I make? They are both winners!! and easy to do.

Hey! Next time you make them, add strawberries as well. Strawberries and rhubarb are a great combination. I stew rhubarb with frozen strawberries, sugar and water until i get a thick chunky syrup. This can top a piece of angel food cake or pound cake. I have even served this as a sauce with chicken!!

Just a thought: my grandma makes saskatoon-rhubarb pie, and it is so delicious!

You can't waste saskatoons in a mix! Heaven forbid! (OK, maybe YOU can do that emz, lucky butt)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom