"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 03-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

New diet, craving bakery, any tips?

Last wednesday I started a diet....again. I'vebeen doing pretty well on it, but I've been craving bakery items. Anyone have any good ideas?

Old 03-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Everymom

What kind of diet are you on? Reduced calorie? Low fat? If you give us some parameters I'm sure we can find you a few recipes.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I am borderline type 2 diabetes. My doctor's appt. is on the 23rd. I have a big family history of it. I have all the symptoms & have alot of weight to lose. Being in this business makes it tough. My husband & I have a small bakery/cafe & catering business. It's tough to make time for exercise but I'm trying.
I want to really concentrate on cutting carb.'s & sugars. I want to deter any health problems with diet & exercise. It's really challenging.
Thanks ahead of time for any input.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Everymom

If you are cutting carbs then any baking is pretty much a no no.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Even on a diabetic diet, you can have some carbs, but it limited amounts. For instance you can have one slice of white bread or two slices of whole wheat per day, or 15 corn chips with 2 tablespoons of salsa.

The idea is not to deprive yourself, but only limit the amount while taking away the craving. Your daily intake (amount of space on your plate divided into quarters) should consist of 1/4 grains and starchy vegetables, 1/4 fish, chicken, meat or meat substitutions, such as mushrooms or TVP, and 1/2 non-starchy vegetables. You can also allow yourself 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen fruit, or canned fruit juice, and 8 oz. of milk.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I wonder if gluton free would cut back carb.'s
Old 03-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I wonder if gluton free would cut back carb.'s
No more than regular flour.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Head Chef

It's not baking but you can make an egg crepe and fill it with a sweetened cheese mixture (use Splenda) The crepe does not use flour it uses ground flax seeds. It is not the same as a crepe made with flour but it really does help with those cravings. Try googling an Atkins website and you will undoubtedly be able to find a recipe for this. When I was doing low carb I mad them a lot when I had a craving for pancakes. If the crepes are made savory instead of sweet you can cut them up like noodles for soup etc. There are lots of tricks to the low-carb life.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
It's not baking but you can make an egg crepe and fill it with a sweetened cheese mixture (use Splenda) The crepe does not use flour it uses ground flax seeds. It is not the same as a crepe made with flour but it really does help with those cravings. Try googling an Atkins website and you will undoubtedly be able to find a recipe for this. When I was doing low carb I mad them a lot when I had a craving for pancakes. If the crepes are made savory instead of sweet you can cut them up like noodles for soup etc. There are lots of tricks to the low-carb life.
Thanks! I will try it out.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Thanks! I will try it out.
While an Atkins diet is OK for some people without any medical condition, you may want to speak with your doctor about your particular diabetic diet plan. For instance, concerning diabetes:
  • Critics of the Atkins diet say that the diet recommends eating excessive amounts of animal protein and fat. High protein causes people to eliminate a lot of water weight.
  • Critics also say that a very high protein diet can strain the kidneys and liver, creating ketones. Although ketones suppress appetite, they can cause dizziness, bad breath, and gas. Ketones are also thought to contribute to gout, heart disease, and kidney disease. People with diabetes are more likely to develop kidney disease than the general population.
  • Another concern is that the diet labels all carbohydrates as bad, even though vegetable carbohydrates promote health.
  • Low carbohydrate, high protein diets deplete glycogen stores. Glycogen is a form of carbohydrate, stored in the liver and muscle, that is a primary fuel source for exercise. Even though many low carbohydrate diets recommend a complete exercise program, the diet makes it harder for people to exercise effectively.

Tags
diet, tips