New England Fruit Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
This recipe is from my best friend, who loved to tip the bottle a bit. A little nip for sara, a little for the fruit bars, a little nip for Sara...:ROFLMAO:

New England Fruit Bars

1-1/4 cups flour
2 cups mixed candied fruit
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup prunes, cut
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour with fruit, nuts, raisins and prunes. Cream butter, add sugar, baking powder and salt. Cream thoroughly. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Stir in fruit mixture. Sread in a sprayed 13x9 inch pan and bake 25 minutes until golden brown. While still hot, pour on *lots* of sherry, or peach or apricot brandy. Glaze with powdered sugar mixed with liquor. Cool, cut into squares.

*Depending on how much she'd had to drink, sometimes Sara got them a little too strong. I say to use a moderate amount of liquor.

I've been looking for a recipe to use a package of candided fruit I left over from a fruit cake I made for Christmas.
I've beem making a no bake fruit cake, using graham crackers, for years.
Instead of the prunes I will use Crasisns.
Must omit the liquor. We haven't used alcohol in over 25 years.
I'm sure it will be just what I've been looking for.

Thanks,
Charlie

is this what red sox fans eat? (sorry, couldn't help it. :) spring trianing is almost upon us)

Charlie, I think it will be fine without the alcohol. If it seems a little dry, you could always make a thin glaze with orange or other fruit juice and powdered sugar.

Sounds good. I think the idea of using orange juice and powdered sugar would be yummy. Paul Deene made something similar and used sweetened condensed milk to bind the bars together, but hers had oats in it too I think.

Glaze

Constance said:
Charlie, I think it will be fine without the alcohol. If it seems a little dry, you could always make a thin glaze with orange or other fruit juice and powdered sugar.

Thanks Constance,
The orange glaze sounds great!
I wouldn't want it to overpower the taste of the bars, just enhanbce it.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom