Oatmeal flour brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
A quick search for a random word combination will prove that if there's something you can think of, someone has already thought of it first, so I'm asking here before I start. :mrgreen:

When you make oatmeal the liquid in it gels from something in the oat. I'm thinking I can use that property to make a brownie with less fat and I wanted to get your opinions.

I'm thinking that I need gluten for a little rise but that I can substitute at least half the flour and decrease the amount of fat, perhaps by half and still achieve a fudge type brownie. I'm thinking that since sugar adds water and structure that I could add some additional water to the recipe, or to add structure, add egg whites instead of water.

What do you think? I'm definitely going to play with this tomorrow afternoon but I'd appreciate your thoughts before I get started.

Cheers,

Do you have a basic recipe you are going to modify or are you winging it?

I'm winging it. I've looked at a few dozen and have an idea on proportion. It's adjusting the proportions to compensate for the drop in fat -- even low fat brownies have a lot of oil.

After baking

I've done three test batches and I think I might be on to something for CAKE LIKE brownies.

As it stands now I'm using

2 parts chopped chocolate (Ghiradelie 65%) 120 grams

4 whole eggs
double the water for oatmeal 120 grams
2 parts sugar 120 grams
1/4 rum

1 part ground oats (Quaker) 60 grams

1 part cocoa 60 grams
1 part flour 60 grams
5 grams baking powder
salt

The first batch had no water but another egg. The result was a VERY dry but high and light cake. The second batch had less baking powder and double the water for oatmeal and it was much improved but there was no real flavor and it was still a little dry. I was less worried about the dryness than the flavor so I added rum (liquid and flavor), cinnamon, vanilla and decreased the baking time a couple of minutes and there was a huge improvement but still there's not a flavor punch.

The surprise was how fast they all baked. 18 - 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

But I'm pretty sure my original idea was correct about the oatmeal holding in moisture. I prefer a dense brownie and so I think by taking down the baking powder and removing some of, or all of the cocoa, I can keep the sweetness and that will help. What do you think? Any ideas for intensifying the flavor? I was thinking coffee as a flavoring next.

I was also thinking about adding a mix of brown sugar since it's a humectant.

I made black bean brownies for the fist time last week and they were a huge hit. Very fudgy - the black beans replaces the oil and eggs. To make these, take a 15 oz can of black beans, rinse the beans, add them back to the can and fill the can up with water. Then puree the hell out of them. It should look like a black paste. Add your favorite brownie mix and bake according to the package directions. You get a high fiber/low fat brownie that is pretty good.

I'm on WW right now and this was one way I found to enjoy brownies. Sometimes ya just gotta have them!

I made black bean brownies for the fist time last week and they were a huge hit. Very fudgy - the black beans replaces the oil and eggs. To make these, take a 15 oz can of black beans, rinse the beans, add them back to the can and fill the can up with water. Then puree the hell out of them. It should look like a black paste. Add your favorite brownie mix and bake according to the package directions. You get a high fiber/low fat brownie that is pretty good.

I've heard about this but I totally forgot about it. I remember reading about it on 101 Cookbooks. Thanks! I'm going to give it a try today.
:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom