"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 07-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Head Chef

Oatmeal Stout Brownies

Okay, I'll be cooking in a competition next weekend, where one of the entries is "Chef's Choice". You can enter any kind of dish you want, as long as it contains some beer (the sponsor of the contest is Harpoon Brewery).

I've been successful with a brownie recipe I've entered in the past. I will be using a mix, which calls for 1/4 water, 1/3 cup of oil and one egg.

I have a bottle of Harpoon Oatmeal Stout that I was going to use to make chocolate cupcakes, but I've decided on the brownies instead.

I don't have time to do a trial run on this, so am looking for advice and opinions.

How much of the water do you think I can substitute for beer? The whole 1/4 cup or less?

Here's an example of a "from scratch" recipe. The Best of American Beer & Food fudge stout brownies for your St. Patrick’s Day dessert Supposedly, the beer brings out the flavor of the chocolate, yet you can't taste the beer.

Thoughts, anyone?

TIA

Lee

Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Lee....Ya know I'm not much of a baker, but your idea "sounds" good to me!! I'm thinking I would use the full 1/4 cup of the beer instead of the water...I'm thinking I would let the beer go "flat"...don't ask my why...but I think that's what I would do.

Always, Best Wishes!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks, UB, and thanks for the best wishes!

Lee
Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Sous Chef

QSis- Good luck this weekend at your cooking competition!
Your brownies sound great.
I love Harpoon and I love Oatmeal Stout and I love brownies!!

Wish I could be a judge (not that you'll need a friend on the panel!).

Have fun
Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Head Chef

Hey, Jill - thanks so much!

My brownies took second place in a field of 32 teams who entered the "Chef's Choice" category this weekend.

UB, I did use the full 1/4 cup of beer instead of water, but I forgot to open it ahead of time to let it go flat. Didn't seem to matter, though.

Lee
Old 07-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

BRAVO MISS LEE!!!!

2nd Place out of 32 teams is fantastic!!! Proud of you I am!!!

Congratulations!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Wow, Congrats, QSis.
32 teams? What were some of the other entries. And what won 1st place.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
Head Chef

Thank you, Uncle Bob and quicksliver!

When the top 10 winners were called up to accept their ribbons, they shouted out their entries, but there was so much clapping and cheering that it was hard to hear.

I didn't hear what took 1st place, but other winning entries included s'mores, macaroni and cheese, sausage-stuffed squash, and stuffed shrimp.

The entries don't sound particularly special, but at this level of competition, teams tend to downplay their entries and keep the details to themselves. Also, this was the lesser competition of the two days (the BBQ competition being the more important - more money, more teams).

Everything had to be made on-site, on non-gas grills or smokers, and, for the "Chef's Choice" category, had to include Harpoon beer (the sponsor of the contest).

Lee
Old 07-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Way to go, Lee! So forget the other winners, maybe you can share your brownies with us? The recipe, that is. But I don't want to take any of your secrets. Maybe you can just tell us, should we do our favorite brownie recipe and simply sub beer for H2O?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
Head Chef

Oh, heck yes, Jill - I don't keep recipes a secret from anyone, even my competitors.

I've posted the brownie recipe here a few times. They are like Paula Deen's "Symphony Brownies", but instead of using only one box of brownie mix, I use two boxes (Ghiradelli). Each batch of this particular variety called for 1 egg, 1/3 cup oil, and 1/4 cup water. I subbed the oatmeal stout beer for the water.

Butter a 13 x 9 inch pan. Spread one batch of brownies in the pan. Lay in 3 big Symphony candy bars (they just fit across). Spread the second brownie mix over the chocolate. Bake per directions - longer than the package says, natch.

You have to test the brownies to make sure the batter is cooked, but if you use a toothpick, don't be fooled into thinking that the melted candy bar is brownie batter.

Also, you have to let them cool long enough before cutting so that the chocolate doesn't run all over your plate, but not so long to make cutting them difficult after the candy solidifies again.

Otherwise, this is a no-brainer and they are the best brownies I've ever had.

Yes, of course you can use your favorite homemade brownie recipe!

Lee

Tags
None