"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Ok, I made these today!!! We had one after supper. They were really good. My Hubby (who doesn't eat anything pumpkin) tried a bite of mine and decided to get one for himself. I made them with just the cinnamon. I would like to try it using the other spices as well. Hubby likes spice cake and may think that it is a good idea. Thanks again. It is a keeper!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #22
Head Chef

I forgot to mention that I had added the other spices to the mix. The flavor reminds me of the "spice cake bars" that used to go into bagged school lunches way back when. I think they were in the Hostess snack cake line. Do they still make them? Dunno. But these pumpkin bars are moister and all-around yummier.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks, BakeChef, copied and I have most of the ingredients.
I have all the ingredients!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

BC, what is sprinkled on the top? It looks like slivered almonds and coconut.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
BC, what is sprinkled on the top? It looks like slivered almonds and coconut.
He said walnuts in the original post.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
He said walnuts in the original post.
Thank you. I have a good supply of all kinds on nuts in the freezer. I even have a supply of coconut if I should choose to do that also. Although I save that for the Christmas Wreath Cake.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks for the reminder...I have the link on my desktop to nag me into making them.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I have all the ingredients, too. Thinking of using my mini-cupcake pans so I can make bit-sized treats that I can freeze, frost as needed.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #29
Master Chef

I can't handle frosting anymore.

I'm gonna spank some powdered sugar on 'em and pretend I'm happy!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I can't handle frosting anymore.

I'm gonna spank some powdered sugar on 'em and pretend I'm happy!
Powdered sugar is a great idea! I don't care for sweet stuff, so probably would eat w/out frosting and only frost those served to guests.

Tags
recipe, pumpkin

Peter Pumpkin Bars This recipe is from my mom's church cookbook, they were submitted by my grandmother's neighbor. The name of the recipe was "Peter Pumkin Bars" so that's how we always referred to them. My mom made these every year in the fall. This is the original recipe only calling for cinnamon as the spice, but feel free to spice them up a bit if that's your thing! Like any baked good with spices, these will taste best the next day, when the flavors have a chance to meld. I topped with walnuts because that's how my mom always did it and for me this is a must! Hope you enjoy! [IMG]http://bakingbetter.com/g1/var/resizes/Baking-Better/Pumpkin-bars/SG1L0309.JPG?m=1348181718[/IMG] Pumpkin Bars From Bakingbetter.com 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix! ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 2/3 cups light brown sugar, lightly packed 4 eggs 1 ½ cups all purpose flour 1 ½ cups rolled oats or quick oats (not instant) 1 tablespoon cinnamon* 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 cake pan by spraying with no-stick cooking spray. In a bowl, mix together pumpkin, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and eggs, stir to mix well. In a sifter or whisked together in a bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon (or spice mix), baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture all at once to the pumpkin mixture and stir just to combine, a few small lumps are OK. Stir in oats and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until it tests done. Let cool completely. *for a spicier bar, use 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. You and also make your own spice blend (cloves, ginger, nutmeg etc…) to equal roughly 1 tablespoon. Cream cheese icing 4 oz. (½ a bar) room temperature cream cheese 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ¼ cup (½ a stick) room temperature butter 2 cups powdered confectioners sugar Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth, spread over cooled bars. 3 stars 1 reviews