"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 11-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
Senior Cook

REC: Super-Fudgy Triple Chocolate Espresso Brownies!

I just made these brownies a few days ago and they are fantastic! Bittersweet and very fudgy, and of course even fudgier after refrigeration. I used bittersweet chocolate instead of semi-sweet.

Super-Fudgy Triple Chocolate Espresso Brownies

Ingredients:

5 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used bittersweet)
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 tb cocoa powder
1 1/2 tb instant espresso or coffee powder (I used espresso powder)
8 tb unsalted butter; cut into quarters
3 lg eggs; room temperature
2 ts vanilla extract
1 1/4 c sugar
1/2 ts salt (I used 1/4 tsp)
1 c all-purpose flour

Instructions:

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Fold two 12-inch lengths of foil lengthwise so that they measure 7 inches wide. Fit one sheet in bottom of greased pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; overhang will help in removal of baked brownies. Fit second sheet in pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. (I lightly buttered an 8x8 pan).

In medium heat-proof bowl set oven a pan of almost-simmering water, melt chocolates and butter, stirring occasionally until mixture is smooth. Whisk in cocoa and espresso powder until incorporated. Set aside to cool slightly.

Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in medium bowl until combined. Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture; then stir in flour until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan, spread into corners and level surface with rubber spatula; bake until slightly puffed and toothpick inserted in center comes out with a small amount of moist batter clinging to it, 35 to 40 minutes. (I baked about 33 1/2 - 34 minutes).

Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, then remove brownies from pan using foil handles. Cut into 1-inch square, (I cut into 12 larger squares), and serve. (Do not cut brownies until ready to serve; brownies can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated up to 5 days.)

Makes sixty-four 1-inch brownies (I cut them into 12 squares).

Source:"Cook's Illustrated"

Old 11-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Master Chef

Oh, these sound good--and chocolate-y!!! :D

Old 11-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Merstar..your recipe looked familiar so I checked my file..I have a brownie recipe froom Americas Test Kitchen..exact except they didnt put in the espresso powder.
These brownies are amazing...people ask for the recipe when I make them.
They are a brownie must!!
Thank you for reminding me about them.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

TY - TY - TY! As Audeo says, 'copying - pasting'!

Tags
None