"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 03-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Mad Cook [cute name!], flapjacks are just another word of pancakes.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Mad Cook [cute name!], flapjacks are just another word of pancakes.
Ah yes, I thought so. Ours are crunchy or chewy (depends on the cook!). "Two nations divided by a common language"

Old 03-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Aha! Found it, it's a recipe from DH's cousin (same cousin that gave me the "overnight bun recipe).
I think the reason that these don't crumble badly is the addition of 1/4C flour.
Rickety Uncle

2C rolled oats
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C margarine (I likely used butter)
1tsp vanilla
1/4 C flour
Rub ingredients together with fingers,
Press into a 9X9 inch pan.
Bake 12-20 minutes at 350
Cut into squares.

I think I will bake some today! 😊
Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Bingo! Someone had the brains to do something about the excessive crumblyness instead of just complaining (like I did). And passed it on. This is how cooking evolves!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Daizy, I think they must have thought of it a very long time ago, as my MIL born in 1908 also used this recipe according to DH. Perhaps when the recipe was put on the internet someone omitted the flour, who knows.😐
Old 03-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Daizy, I think they must have thought of it a very long time ago, as my MIL born in 1908 also used this recipe according to DH. Perhaps when the recipe was put on the internet someone omitted the flour, who knows.��
Not necessarily. I found the recipe in an older amateur cookbook of mine (put together maybe 35 years ago by a church women's group) and it was worded almost the same as this photocopy on pinterest (scroll 1/2 way down). The only difference was that my cookbook recipe specified a longer baking time than 10 minutes. The ingredients were the same, tho.

Cookbook - Vintage Recipes on Pinterest

In any case, I presume when I make the recipe with a bit of flour, that will do the trick. I'll have to wait & see! Thanx to all here who responded to my request!

PS: So, did you bake some as you promised? Send it along by Air Mail!
Old 03-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Rickety Uncle (extremely simple oat bars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post

PS: So, did you bake some as you promised? Send it along by Air Mail!

Why yes I did! A word of caution here. Cut and remove from pan while warm (not hot). Do not allow to cool completely or you will need a jack hammer to get them out of the pan. This is experience talking. I had to use my small very sharp spatula to get them out. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1395595206.610195.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	20981Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1395595227.686520.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	20982
Old 03-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #18
Senior Cook

So have you eaten them all yet? Heh, heh. Nice photos. Yes, I know, you must not wait too long to slice them and get them out of the cooking dish.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I was given the Rickety Uncle recipe by my aunt, who was closer to my age than to her sister's (who was my mother). I suspect that she got it from my grandmother, who probably got it from the United Farmers of Saskatchewan recipe book of 1940, which you can see here on page 47 (you will probably have to cut and paste):

http://www.culinaryhistorians.ca/res...rmers_1940.pdf

I think the problem with crumbliness is a function of two things, the ratio of sugar to oats and the kinds of oats. The original recipe has a 2:1 ratio of oats to sugar, but the ones published recently have less sugar. I think the caramelized sugar is what holds the oats together, and so more sugar is helpful. As well, there is a question of which kinds of oats. I personally prefer the large-flake unprocessed oats, for flavor and texture, but it may be that quick oats will hold together better.

I personally have never found the need to use a binder like flower or eggs.

Ron
Old 07-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Hi, Ron. Thanks for your story on Rickety Uncle Bars! Much helpful info! - Daizy.

Tags
recipe, rolled oats

Rickety Uncle (extremely simple oat bars) Hi. Has anyone here ever made [COLOR=Blue][B]Rickety Uncle[/B][/COLOR]? I found this in an older cookbook today and made it. It is a socalled vintage or antique recipe. It has only 4 ingredients: 2 c. rolled oats/1 c. brown sugar/1/2 c. saturated fat; vanilla. I saw one version that called for Baking Soda. You make these bars by mixing these 4 ingredients by hand, pressing the mixture into a shallow baking dish (I used 8X8 Pyrex), and baking at "high" temperature (they are not specific) for c. 15 minutes. You cut them while warm, as they harden quickly and stick to the pan. They are unbelievably tasty. :chef: So, my question is: I KNOW the bars are supposed to fall apart to some degree - but they fall apart too much and I want to make them stick together better. Does anyone have any advice for me as to how I could accomplish this without getting too complicated or changing this into something it wasn't meant to be, like a flour-based bar? Many thanx!!! :smile: 3 stars 1 reviews