"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #21
Sous Chef

You could try using butter as your fat and wait for the cooked mixture to cool before removing from the tin. Also, maybe a whisked egg WHITE might help but wouldn't change the flavor.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonM View Post
I was given the Rickety Uncle recipe by my aunt, who was closer to my age than to her sister's (who was my mother). I suspect that she got it from my grandmother, who probably got it from the United Farmers of Saskatchewan recipe book of 1940, which you can see here on page 47 (you will probably have to cut and paste):

http://www.culinaryhistorians.ca/res...rmers_1940.pdf

I think the problem with crumbliness is a function of two things, the ratio of sugar to oats and the kinds of oats. The original recipe has a 2:1 ratio of oats to sugar, but the ones published recently have less sugar. I think the caramelized sugar is what holds the oats together, and so more sugar is helpful. As well, there is a question of which kinds of oats. I personally prefer the large-flake unprocessed oats, for flavor and texture, but it may be that quick oats will hold together better.

I personally have never found the need to use a binder like flower or eggs.

Ron
Thanks for showing us that cookbook. I love the fact that they show no temperatures for baking. Use a moderate, hot, warm oven. My mother cooked and baked with a Crawford stove that burned wood and had no thermometer on the door of the oven. I remember her putting her hand in to tell if it was hot enough for baking. To this day I can tell you when the oven reaches 350 F. even though there is not need today. Some of those recipes look real interesting. I saw a lot that have brought a long session of discussion to this forum. Our mothers knew how to cook with everything they had and everything was used. No waste.

Do we have a reference area where we can go to such as this cookbook? It would answer a lot of questions and it should have a place of it own. So often I have seen others like this on this forum that should be listed in a place of reference.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do we have a reference area where we can go to such as this cookbook? It would answer a lot of questions and it should have a place of it own. So often I have seen others like this on this forum that should be listed in a place of reference.
Under Cooking Resources, there's a subforum for Cookbooks.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #24
Senior Cook

I was wondering how I would have to adjust this entire recipe to make a Rickety Aunt out of the Rickety Uncle - by adding chocolate (I know, I know, don't say anything, okay ).

Ron M in particular sounds as if he understands the chemistry of cooking a lot more than I do. Maybe he can help out. All suggestions are welcome. - Daizy/Dizzy

Tags
recipe, rolled oats

Rickety Uncle (extremely simple oat bars) Hi. Has anyone here ever made [COLOR=Blue][B]Rickety Uncle[/B][/COLOR]? I found this in an older cookbook today and made it. It is a socalled vintage or antique recipe. It has only 4 ingredients: 2 c. rolled oats/1 c. brown sugar/1/2 c. saturated fat; vanilla. I saw one version that called for Baking Soda. You make these bars by mixing these 4 ingredients by hand, pressing the mixture into a shallow baking dish (I used 8X8 Pyrex), and baking at "high" temperature (they are not specific) for c. 15 minutes. You cut them while warm, as they harden quickly and stick to the pan. They are unbelievably tasty. :chef: So, my question is: I KNOW the bars are supposed to fall apart to some degree - but they fall apart too much and I want to make them stick together better. Does anyone have any advice for me as to how I could accomplish this without getting too complicated or changing this into something it wasn't meant to be, like a flour-based bar? Many thanx!!! :smile: 3 stars 1 reviews