"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Rickety Uncle (extremely simple oat bars)

Hi. Has anyone here ever made Rickety Uncle? I found this in an older cookbook today and made it. It is a socalled vintage or antique recipe. It has only 4 ingredients: 2 c. rolled oats/1 c. brown sugar/1/2 c. saturated fat; vanilla. I saw one version that called for Baking Soda.

You make these bars by mixing these 4 ingredients by hand, pressing the mixture into a shallow baking dish (I used 8X8 Pyrex), and baking at "high" temperature (they are not specific) for c. 15 minutes. You cut them while warm, as they harden quickly and stick to the pan. They are unbelievably tasty.

So, my question is: I KNOW the bars are supposed to fall apart to some degree - but they fall apart too much and I want to make them stick together better. Does anyone have any advice for me as to how I could accomplish this without getting too complicated or changing this into something it wasn't meant to be, like a flour-based bar?

Many thanx!!!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Maybe honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar instead of or in addition to sugar? Never heard of Rickety Uncle, but I love the name!

Old 03-21-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I wonder if adding an egg would do it.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:27 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Indeed, I was thinking that egg white might do the trick. I do not know if the yolk would do anything except maybe change the flavour too much. Thanks
Old 03-21-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Master Chef

I would try whizzing a half cup of the oats in a blender or food processor. If that is not possible I would decrease the oats by half a cup and add a half cup of AP flour.

Good luck, they sound great!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Hello, Aunt Bea. Tks for your suggestions. I do suspect that at least some amt of wheat flour would be necessary to hold things together. That, or egg white. Dawg suggested a liquid sweetener. I am going to have to try these things, individually, to see what the main factor is, in making these bars a bit less rickety. But my goodness, once you serve them, do they disappear!
Old 03-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Even if they crumble, use them as granola. The crumbles sound as if they would be yummy with milk as cereal, over ice cream or yogurt, eaten as is for a snack, baked into cookies or as the topping on fruit crumble!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Indeed, all of the few Rickety Uncle recipes I've found say so. Hey, maybe this was originally an attempt to make granola?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Hi. Has anyone here ever made Rickety Uncle?

Yes, I used to make it a lot. I got the recipe from my husband's cousin in Saskatchewan. I had never heard of "Rickety Uncle and assumed it was a Canadian treat like "Nanaimo Bars", or maybe a "prairie thing" like lunch at midnight!
I will dig my recipe out in the morning and see if there is anything different about it, I don't remember it being terribly crumbly. I do remember it being yummy!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Hi. Has anyone here ever made Rickety Uncle? I found this in an older cookbook today and made it. It is a socalled vintage or antique recipe. It has only 4 ingredients: 2 c. rolled oats/1 c. brown sugar/1/2 c. saturated fat; vanilla. I saw one version that called for Baking Soda.

You make these bars by mixing these 4 ingredients by hand, pressing the mixture into a shallow baking dish (I used 8X8 Pyrex), and baking at "high" temperature (they are not specific) for c. 15 minutes. You cut them while warm, as they harden quickly and stick to the pan. They are unbelievably tasty.

So, my question is: I KNOW the bars are supposed to fall apart to some degree - but they fall apart too much and I want to make them stick together better. Does anyone have any advice for me as to how I could accomplish this without getting too complicated or changing this into something it wasn't meant to be, like a flour-based bar?

Many thanx!!!
The recipe sounds a bit like what we call *flapjacks but our flapjacks have golden syrup in them as well as brown sugr. That must be what stops them falling a part. I wonder if the recipe has left the syrup out by mistake and no-one noticed in the proof-reading?

(*Am I right in thinking that your flapjacks are like pancakes?)

Tags
recipe, rolled oats

Rickety Uncle (extremely simple oat bars) Hi. Has anyone here ever made [COLOR=Blue][B]Rickety Uncle[/B][/COLOR]? I found this in an older cookbook today and made it. It is a socalled vintage or antique recipe. It has only 4 ingredients: 2 c. rolled oats/1 c. brown sugar/1/2 c. saturated fat; vanilla. I saw one version that called for Baking Soda. You make these bars by mixing these 4 ingredients by hand, pressing the mixture into a shallow baking dish (I used 8X8 Pyrex), and baking at "high" temperature (they are not specific) for c. 15 minutes. You cut them while warm, as they harden quickly and stick to the pan. They are unbelievably tasty. :chef: So, my question is: I KNOW the bars are supposed to fall apart to some degree - but they fall apart too much and I want to make them stick together better. Does anyone have any advice for me as to how I could accomplish this without getting too complicated or changing this into something it wasn't meant to be, like a flour-based bar? Many thanx!!! :smile: 3 stars 1 reviews