"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 10-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
I cannot imagine wrapping each brownie individually. My brownies are only 1 inch square. I like to keep them small, for mini-snacks!
What is this 'mini-snack' of which you speak?

Old 10-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

thanks y'all for these tips. I thought perhaps a 13X9" or and 8 or 9" square foil pan and stacking with cardboard to separate layers. Then foil to hold everything in, then a round of bubble wrap or something of that sort. then a heavy duty cardboard shipping box. Think that will do it?

Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think that would be fine!!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
1 inch! I'd have to eat 16 of them!!!
Well, you CAN eat 16 if you want, but you also can choose just one or two and not feel "deprived," or "guilty!"

When I sold brownies to a deli in Boston, I cut them in 2-inch squares, but that was the only time. My mom always cut hers small, saying you can have as many as you can eat... and I picked right up on that. I tend to feel "guilty" if I eat FOUR small ones!

Truth is, scientists have studied how much dessert we need to feel satisfied, and the amount is approximately THREE BITES of anything.... so, small portions make the best sense, rather than giving someone a large portion and expect them to cut it down, give them a small portion and take seconds...
Old 10-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #15
Head Chef

I think you got that wrong ChefJune.....three BOWLS rather than bites surely ;) ROFL
Old 01-04-2007, 03:23 AM   #16
Head Chef

I don't make mega shipments but I like to go with an inexpensive thermal bag. They come in all makes, sizes and colors. They fit nicely into shipping cartons with a little newspaper to keep them from rocking around during shipment.

I buy plastic storeage containers for shipping non-food stuff. I tape the lid down and wrap it with brown paper.

I also like to put little Knic/Knac gifts in my packages. Sometimes there is a joke in there too.

I had a relative who left a beloved flipflop behind and asked me to send it. What was the challenge in putting it in a brown envelope and mailing it?
I noticed various items left behind by other guest as well. (pj pants, t-shirt, ball cap, cell phone charger, pr earrings) I put all these items in a container and mailed it to her with a list of the other people and their addresses. She could mail each person their stuff or mail all the stuff to the next person on the list and cross them off. Just to say, everybody mailed a package because she accidentally put her flipflop in the box!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hi,

I just saw this post - I know it's really old! But I'm wondering (if any of you are still active) how long your brownies last when shipped like this. I'm sending some from NYC to my fiance in Brazil! And it can sometimes take up to a MONTH to receive packages there ... do you think the brownies will still be good?

Thanks so much!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My guess is they'll be a bit stale, but still fine to eat. There's enough sugar in there to act as quite the preservative!

Haven't shipped brownies that took that long to get there since the Viet Nam days, but that was usually the case then, as well.

Tags
None