Shortbread Marshmallow bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour

Work these with your hands til dough is soft. Spread on bottom of 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for about 10 - 15 minutes.

1 can sweetened condensed milk.

Pour over the shortbread base.

2 cups chips (chocolate, butterscotch, whatever)

Sprinkle on top of condensed milk.

2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup coconut

Sprinkle on top of chips.

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes - 1/2 hour. Let cool completely, cut into bars and enjoy.

Last edited:
Alix-this sounds amazing- I will be making it for St Patty's Day to bring to our friend's house!!!Thank you so much.Love and energy,Vicki

Well Missy,
you just tempted me enough to get me off my fanny and into the kitchen..Look out waistline!!!:LOL:

kadesma

They are pretty tasty if I do say so myself. I edited my method a bit above. The shortbread crust needs to cook a bit before you put the other stuff on it. We ended up eating these upside down so the shortbread didn't crumble right off! :LOL:

I've also done these with graham cracker crust (major YUM!) and with just plain coconut on top (no marshmallows). Works just fine any way you slice it.

mudbug said:
Alix, would you disown me if I left off the coconut? Otherwise they sound scrumptious!
I was thinking the same- I like it but family done --go figure ! May do half w/ and half w/o !! tere ya go ! solved ! lol

Nope, I just like the crunch it gives when it toasts up nicely. We can't do nuts here (much to my dismay!) so I do what I can. Try some crushed cornflakes if you want crunch, otherwise let me know what its like without. Enjoy!

(((ALIX))) I just finished making these with cinnamon chips.The Taste testers around here LOVED them. I made them to bring to our friend's house for a St Patty's celebration and I was told I better make another batch becuase these aren't going to make it there. Thanks for the great recipe!!!Love and energy, Vicki

YAY! I'm glad I could help out Vicky. Cinnamon chips sound wonderful. I am going to look for those next grocery run.

Alix said:
They are pretty tasty if I do say so myself. I edited my method a bit above. The shortbread crust needs to cook a bit before you put the other stuff on it. We ended up eating these upside down so the shortbread didn't crumble right off! :LOL:

I've also done these with graham cracker crust (major YUM!) and with just plain coconut on top (no marshmallows). Works just fine any way you slice it.

Alix, sounds yummy. Can you give directions/time on cooking the shortbread crust before you put the other stuff on it, as I'm confused about pouring milk over the dough. TIA

Hey mish, hope you like them. When I made them the first time, I didn't bother to cook the shortbread base first just poured the condensed milk straight on it. It worked OK, but I think a bit of firming up first would be in order.

I would do it for about 10 minutes at 350 first, then do the rest of the layers.

Edit: Thanks PA! LOL, you are QUICK.

Back
Top Bottom