Sticky bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
i made choco oatmeal bars yesterday. they are stuck to pan and only come out it a messy lump instead of a bar. recipe was oatmeal, brwn sugar, butter, small amount flour . all was mixed together and pressed in 9 by 13 pan. pour one can sweetened condensed milk over it, sprinkle with choco chips and saved bar mixture. it called for ungreased pan. used a stick of butter in first step. why would this stick, any ideas?:chef:

I'd go with one of two ideas:
1. Too much brown sugar in the bottom layer and it carmelized and stuck.

2. Not pressed down firmly enough and the condensed milk seeped in and disturbed the bottom layer.

When I do layered bars I find crumbs and butter with just a tbsp or so of sugar is the best bet. Then the second layer can have oats, chocolate chips or whatever, then layer 3 is condensed milk and top with whatever.

i think you have it pegged. i used brown sugar splendida, measure amount and then had just a little left so dumped it in. i didn't press the dough stuff down very hard, thinking that would help it not stick. guess it did just the opposite. will try your way and see what happens. not exactly cheap to make.

am thinking will just make into balls and roll in powder sugar. they are certain sticky enough. thanks

Hey babetoo, check out this thread to see if it might help you out any.

Edit: Is this the recipe you used? If so, then for SURE you need to pack that down firmly. I did it the other way once and it was garbage. Had to chip it out of the pan.

Last edited:
that is not it but is similar. the bottom layer is crumble mixture, oats , flour , brown sugar and butter. then milk, then choco chips. about half cut crumb mixture is saved and sprinkled on top. but same idea. thanks

Back
Top Bottom