Store bought brownie mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

Can someone say if this brownie mix from the store is good or bad? I bought in 2014 and it's best used by 2015. I look at the packaging and it looks like it was bought today. The box has been kept in a dark cool place all these years. The bag is sealed but you can still smell the fresh brownie smell. I'm thinking about making it and tasting it to see if it's still edible.

You would probably have an issue with the quality of the cooked brownies rather than any issue with food safety.

My initial thought is to go ahead and prepare the brownies. The small quantity of ingredients sacrificed would be worth the effort. If the inner packaging is intact, you probably won't have any safety concerns. As Andy already noted, the quality of the end product may not be stellar.

Certainly, if you don't try, you'll never discover the outcome.

I say go for it. The worse that could happen is you'll provide the birds with a gourmet treat.

And if it doesn't rise enough, just put ice cream on it and you won't notice.

I was going to say that!:LOL:

We call that idea "Dad's Brownie Bombs"
Top it with whip cream and chocolate syrup.

The brownies would also make great Ice cream sammiches.

oK, I'm going to the store for ice cream and brownie mix.

Munky.

Oh Julio, I'll sacrifice my afternoon and bake and taste test them for you. Send them on over and I'll report back to you. :)

Hello,

Can someone say if this brownie mix from the store is good or bad? I bought in 2014 and it's best used by 2015. I look at the packaging and it looks like it was bought today. The box has been kept in a dark cool place all these years. The bag is sealed but you can still smell the fresh brownie smell. I'm thinking about making it and tasting it to see if it's still edible.
It's probably OK from a safety point of view but why buy packets of brownie mix in the first place? Bake 'em from scratch - they'll taste better and you will know what's in them.

When you take into account the time and possibly fuel involved in picking them up at the store even if you are doing a "big" shop and the expense (you generally have to use things from your store cupboard or buy them in specially) these packets are darned expensive.

My DIL makes brownies from scratch, but her son, my grandson, prefers my brownies, which are Betty Crocker! LOL

When I had kids at home we'd make the box mixes. We'd stock up with 6 boxes when they were full sized boxes (for a 9x11 inch pan) at 89 cents each. I see them still go on sale for less than a dollar once in a while.

...why buy packets of brownie mix in the first place? Bake 'em from scratch - they'll taste better and you will know what's in them...
That's fine if you bake a lot and have the supplies on hand. I do, but I still keep ONE box of brownie mix on hand for those days I really really need a brownie fix and don't have time to make them from scratch. Most days the taste for them passes and I never bother making them either from mix or scratch. Talk about lazy! :ermm: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom